The final mither - Core 26.3 v Malt 4

getdownmonkeyman
getdownmonkeyman Posts: 52
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have finally pared down my options to a Genesis Core 26.3 or a Merlin Malt 4. I am quite smitten by the Core, but it is nagging at me that I still can't get to try the Malt. The question is; is the Malt worth the wait?

Can any of you Malt guys put me straight?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The MALT is more XC biased - steeper and lighter. Is that what you are after, or a more stable, relaxed bike (and longer travel) like the Core?
  • A bit of XC, with a fair amount of trails. I seems the Core may be the kiddie, when you put it that way.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`d go for the Core.Fast enough for XC but trail worthy too.Gives you more options.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Ta muchly.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Core - more flexible & more fun.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • dondondon
    dondondon Posts: 1
    Hello, I found this thread and i'm down to a similar choice, although I've been looking more at the core 26.4. Worth spending the extra cash?

I tested a core 26.2 (nearest in my size that day) and a Cube LTD which look great. the core seemed a bit lighter I think on a small uphill test i did. The Malt sounds great in the BR review and from user reviews!

i'm a bit of a MTB noob, only got a carrera vulcan 09, and began to ride at trail centers last year. My budget is high enough to get something decent. Anyone got a 26.4?