S-Link Bearings

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning all

Replacing frame bearings on my Specialized at the moment (part of a frame re-spray and general overhaul). The frame bearings have all gone back in without incident, as has the rear linkage bearing for the S-Link, however the main frame bearings for the S-Link refuse to go in. I've been using a combo of nut/bolt/washer and a G-Clamp to put the others in, but these bearings refuse to go in cleanly. The flat surface you are clamping against isn't very big, which makes it difficult, but the main issue seems to be the bearings only wanting to go in at an angle, which is causing them to get stuck.... The frustrating thing is that the rear linkage bearings slid in without incident. It’s almost like they are too big as I'm getting pitting of the surface area the bearing is sat against (although this may have something to do with them going in at an angle), however the bearing set came from Specialized, so it’s unlikely to be a sizing issue.

I’ve already busted one set of bearings (more on order from BETD)

Has anyone else replaced S-Link bearings ? any tips you can give me ?

I don't have a vice BTW, otherwise I would be using that

TBH I may be taking them to the LBS as I don't really want to bust another set

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    the clamp is twisting when you tighten it

g-clamps deform slightly when in tension, you need to grease up the outside of th bearing an inside of hole

get the bearing to start and remove the g-clamp and turn 90 degrees and re-apply force

work around it until it pops in, slowly and don't force it....

or use a bench vice that does not move / flex (the lbs has 1.......) or buy 1 £15 or there about

there is a grime time on how to make a home mount for 1

it gets to that point and you can see why some more expensive manufacturers use a small clamp bolt to retain the bearing (ellsworth for example)
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    brilliant post !

cheers for that