Tips for avoiding / controlling cramp

skippa76
skippa76 Posts: 284
Hi there,

Sometimes, on longer rides, I start to feel cramp in my inner though (towards the top of my groin). I had a groin strain in the other leg a while back so maybe - subconsciously - I'm over compensating and putting my other groin muscles through the mill - hence the cramp?

Anyway this is the routine I follow for trying to keep the cramp at bay...

Pre-(long) rides:

- Leg and groin stretches.
- Apply Kinesiology tape to the inner thigh and apply compression thigh support too (belt and braces approach!).
- Drink fluids and have breakfast.

During the ride:

- Drink and eat at regular intervals.
- Ease off if I 'feel it' (drop to a lower gear and spin gently - not always an option on steep hilly sections!).
- When I stop I keep my legs active and stretch before getting back on the bike.
- Towards the end of a ride I ease off and warm down.

After a ride:

- Have a recovery shake.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Gentle stretches.

The above routine tends to keep the cramp tolerable and at bay, however any further tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    My immediate reaction is that you may be doing too much (tape, compression etc), and this may be counter-productive.
    If you're having to do this much I would strongly recommend that you visit a well qualified sports therapist who understands cycling and position well. Depending on where you live there should be one not too far away.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I agree with giropaul. Go and see a good sports physio as it really does not sound like cramp but some kind of muscle fatigue/injury that you are carrying rather than dealing with. You already admit that you had/have a problem with one leg and that you may be overcompensating...so you need to be doing some specific stretches and exercises to sort that out the imbalance, not rely on tape or recovery shakes, etc.

FWIW, you shouldn't really be doing stretches before a work out. The current advice is dynamic warm up (light spinning, etc.) at the start of the ride and then a good stretch routine at the end.

Good luck. Let us know how you got on.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I agree with giropaul. Go and see a good sports physio as it really does not sound like cramp but some kind of muscle fatigue/injury that you are carrying rather than dealing with. You already admit that you had/have a problem with one leg and that you may be overcompensating...so you need to be doing some specific stretches and exercises to sort that out the imbalance, not rely on tape or recovery shakes, etc.

FWIW, you shouldn't really be doing stretches before a work out. The current advice is dynamic warm up (light spinning, etc.) at the start of the ride and then a good stretch routine at the end.

I have endless arguments with my OH (a dancer) about the stretching question. She insists it must be done before starting, but for my money, stretching a cold muscle is as bad as not stretching at all. Probably the best solution is to spin along gently for the first ten minutes until the blood is warmed up then stop and stretch everything properly. But realistically, who stops ten minutes into a ride?
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • KKB
    KKB Posts: 28
    I have had the same issue myself with cramping on long rides and found a few salt tablets and magnesium tablets each day leading up to a big ride, as well as drinking LOTS of water and a litre or so of an electrolyte drink the day before a ride seems to keep it at bay. Basically, what we should all be doing anyway to stay hydrated leading in to a prolonged effort of exercise.
    Try it, it certainly won't hurt.
    Failing that, it may be bike set up. Fork out some cash and get a decent 'bike fit', assuming you haven't already.
    Explore your options a bit beyond local bike shops in this area.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Cramp is probably down to muscle fatigue, or you are born with the tendancy to get it perhaps. Ive never cramped on the bike in my life, although I get it in my feet and legs when Im sleeping sometimes.

I think the lack of salts/electrolytes theory has been proven as bullshit.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I take some extra Vit E if I'm doing longer mileages, seems to work for me. Also keeping well hydrated.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

I have endless arguments with my OH (a dancer) about the stretching question. She insists it must be done before starting, but for my money, stretching a cold muscle is as bad as not stretching at all.
    Just wait until you get a bit older. I used to think that too.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Opinions are split about stretching and its benefits but I am in the camp that it does no good what so ever for cycling long miles on the road - does nothing for cramp or preventing it. Cramp on long ride is about your leg muscles being pushed beyond their comfort zone. Get in the miles and do as much long rides as you can but take it easy at first and ramp up the miles and intensity during the ride and keep a journal as to when it happens and on what route.

Also get some decent hydration with electrolytes during your ride - although I never do this unless its a really hot day and dont suffer. Dont usually have much problem with cramp but if I do its really early in the year and I have pushed too hard.
    Brian B.
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    hydration and bannanas. The phosphate in a bananna helps keep the cramp at bay, apparently. A bannana every 25 miles works for me, both for the cramp and the energy levels.
    all your highley marketed hydration potions, energy gels, recovery drinks are no diffrent to water, banannas, jelly babies and a good cup of tea for recovery.
    Stretching is good to keep us old duffers flexible, main benefit being it hurts a bit less if you fall off. But the stretching is best done on the days your not riding me thinks., but this is not a qualified opinion. However, people more qualified than me have changed to coaching advice/training from a few years ago and now say no to pre ride static stretching, but dynamic stetching is still advocated as far as I know. Back to my unqualified opinions, it seems to me that if youv'e been sat driving for an hour or to to get to an event, a bit of dynamic stretching must do you some good.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    styxd wrote:
    I think the lack of salts/electrolytes theory has been proven as bullshit.

That's not quite true - there was an article on the BBC site about cramp which was interesting. It seemed to suggest that the electrolyte theory wasn't proven and had evidence to suggest it wasn't correct (ie not as emphatic as you suggest). That said, taking an electrolyte drink after exercise helps me for sure
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH