Minimising the vibrations - Trek 1.5 Alpha

shamrock33
shamrock33 Posts: 10
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

New to road bikes and have a acquired a 2nd hand Trek 1.5 triple. Great bike but really conscious of the (extremely dodgy) road surface in Cornwall where I cycle and feel every vibration! I know the bike isn't high spec and I should expect some of this as primarily aluminium and rigid etc. Is it worth investing in a particular saddle? Would that make any difference. Anyone got any tips - other than that it's a great bike, flies up hills compared with my first bike - Claude Butler - San Remo. Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    shamrock33 wrote:
    Hi

New to road bikes and have a acquired a 2nd hand Trek 1.5 triple. Great bike but really conscious of the (extremely dodgy) road surface in Cornwall where I cycle and feel every vibration! I know the bike isn't high spec and I should expect some of this as primarily aluminium and rigid etc. Is it worth investing in a particular saddle? Would that make any difference. Anyone got any tips - other than that it's a great bike, flies up hills compared with my first bike - Claude Butler - San Remo. Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Ian

The advice I was given when I asked this question was change the tyres, which worked for me, but that pretty much depends on what tyres you have on the bike now. Generally I think a road bike will feel totally different than any other bike you might be used to, so might be worth just riding the bike for a while to see of you get used to the feeling of it on the road and it particular idiosyncrasy. If after riding it you find the vibration unbearable, then consider changing the tyres first, or maybe a little less air in the ones you've got.

Someone will be a long shortly to give a totally different opinion to mine, such is the nature of this forum.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • yalmaqroun
    yalmaqroun Posts: 22
    what model is your 1.5 Trek? becuz im weighing my options on a couple of bikes and the 2012 trek 1.5 is one of them. also how are the Tiagra shifters and derailuers?

cheers
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What psi are you riding at ? Take some out maybe ?
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    Another thing to do is make sure you ligten your grip on the handlebars and that your arms are are nicely relaxed - they're your front shock absorbers. Also, not sure what tyres your running, if you do change the tyres - consider 25mm - I've just got some Conti GP 4 Seasons - running at 90/95 psi - noticeable improvement in comfort. if you continue to find the saddle uncomfortable - get to a bike shop and get them to do a saddle fit - a saddle that's comfortable for one person can be awful for someone else. I did 68 miles yesterday (my longest so far) on my basic Speicalized Allez over Devon's debris strewn country lanes and hardly felt a thing throughout and no aches or soreness afterwards. :D
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Carbon seatpost, difference it made to my bike was night and day.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    iPete wrote:

Curious, when I asked the very same question the recieved wisdom that I would be better off just changing tyres and/or padded shorts.

viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12842347&p=17506614&hilit=carbon+seatpost#p17506614
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Other advice re seatposts makes sense but I found that Vittoria Corsa Pave Tyres = sublime comfort

Search for best price around if you go for it but these are the boys you're looking for

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-open-p ... cher-tyre/
  • shamrock33
    yalmaqroun wrote:
    what model is your 1.5 Trek? becuz im weighing my options on a couple of bikes and the 2012 trek 1.5 is one of them. also how are the Tiagra shifters and derailuers?

cheers

I think it's the 2010 model .... shifters good and derailuers seem ok, only had one decent run since getting the bike
  • shamrock33
    Thanks folks for all the advice, it makes sense to give it a few runs before making any immediate alterations, but will also ask at LBS re tires, saddle etc.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    p9uma wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Curious, when I asked the very same question the recieved wisdom that I would be better off just changing tyres and/or padded shorts.

viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12842347&p=17506614&hilit=carbon+seatpost#p17506614

I stick by what I said in that thread. I was looking to get rid of my frame as I was hating the stinging vibrations so much, added the seatpost and its saved me buying a new bike. I've done 18,000 miles on it so its not like its a case of not riding enough and getting used to it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think a carbon post is worth looking at - but if you've no seat post showing then I doubt it will help much.
    Less psi is a nice free option to look at first.