Lycra layering

mountaincookie
mountaincookie Posts: 292
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I'm not new to road cycling...but I am to wearing proper road gear/lycra. Currently I'm just wearing padded bib shorts and knee warmers and although it's a smidge chilly, it's great

My question is....what am I suppose to wear when it gets colder? Do you wear non-padded tights under padded bibs, or padded undershorts under padded bibs, or leg warmers and bibs...or...or - you see my confusion!

Any advice on what to wear with what greatly appreciated!

Comments

• CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Unpadded Bib Tights over padded Bib Shorts.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Or just padded longs made of thicker lycra (called roubaix/super roubaix)
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Hang on, mate. We haven't even had any warm weather yet.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Use one padded layer only , next to the skin. Wash after every ride. Use unpadded payers on top.
    Try a windbreaker jacket or gillet.
    Legwarmers are good for variable conditions but slip down with skinnier legs. You overlap them with shorts or bibs
  • Thanks for the replies

Doesn't kit wear out quickly with washing? (I'm not condoning wearing dirty kit by any stretch of imagination, but sadly I don't have another option at the moment!)
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    Thanks for the replies

Doesn't kit wear out quickly with washing? (I'm not condoning wearing dirty kit by any stretch of imagination, but sadly I don't have another option at the moment!)

Wash your Lycra bike kit on synthetics 30 degrees and I use quick wash aswell seems to help then last longer!

Or if you don't have a washing machine cool hand wash.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    jim453 wrote:
    Hang on, mate. We haven't even had any warm weather yet.
    I was thinking that too... into the 20s this week :)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Now is the perfect time to be buying winter gear. ;)

A cool wash, a bit of non-bio powder/liquid, natural drying (not tumble dryer!) and lycra lasts for ages. Higher temps and biological detergent, fabric conditioners etc would probably kill it pretty quick.
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Probably falls foul of the Rules, but an alternative to these suggestions is a pair of Ron Hills over your bib shorts.
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    I've got a pair of thermal running tights I wear. Wore them for the Etape Caledonia with no problems, and I suppose if you're wanting a bargan nows the time to buy the winter stuff. They're thicker lycra with a brushed thermal layer inside. I suppose you could wear padded shorts et all over them if you so choose. They were about £50-60 but I've worn them (and washed them) all winter and they're only slightly worn.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    I tend to take the lycra into the shower with me straight after a ride, give it a quick wash to get the sweat off, rinse and hang up to dry. Then after a few rides I give it a "proper" wash at 30deg with powder/liquid.