need a new bottom bracket but what one?

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi i have a specialized camber comp 2011 the bottom bracket is on its way out after 790 miles and i need a new one its never been touched since buit apart from my lbs tightened it the othe week but its loose again and was told if it comes loose again it prob will need replacing but would like a better hi spec one but im not sure what one is good or will fit basicly i havent got a clue on this so a lil info would help ie prices name make and detail any info would be great thanks simon
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Just had a quick look to see whats on your bike

Shimano BB-ES25 which is the Alivio bottom bracket

If you want an upgrade I would go for the BB-ES51 Deore bottom bracket
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • sigorman85
    so is it a basic bog standard one i have?.......cheers il have a look at the one you said
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• steelie600
    No the Alivio isnt bog basic, next one up I think, but with it being octalink, there doesnt seem to be that many to choose from. If you were hollowtech 2 theres a shed load of them to choose from, AND the bearings are replaceable, but youd need to change your crankset for that
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • sigorman85
    ah understood are he raceface one any good and would they fit?

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano Octolink, but no way it should be trashed so quickly. They last ages.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    And HT11 bearings are not replaceable unless they are Hope or Chris King or something expensive. Shimano are basically disposable, and don't last anywhere near as long as cartridge BBs.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Raceface make ISIS, looks similar but not compatible.
    Nothing wrong with Octolinks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • steelie600
    sigorman85 wrote:
    ah understood are he raceface one any good and would they fit?

Absolutely no idea kidda, like CD says they last ages normally. For my money id just get a Shimano one and then you know itll fit. Theyre only £20 on ebay!

And CD didnt know the Hollowtech were sealed! Please excuse my numptyness :cry:
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • sigorman85
    Brilliant cheers guys il buy one tomorrow . The bike is used for commuting at the moment I'm only doing 35 miles a week it's all on road with 2 hills I'm quite heavy footed on the pedal and been beasting my self on the hills been doing 16mph to about 12mph near the top I have replaced the pedals as they were some basic ones fp668 what ever they are I now have some dmr v8 on there would the worn pedals increase the play in the bb as there was quite a bit if movement in the pedals

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Something wrong here, you can't tighten an octalink bearing, so whatever came loose it wasn't that, maybe just the crank bolts, in which case threadlock will sort it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sloppycowpat
    sloppycowpat Posts: 349
    if the the non drive side 'cup/ sheath' is loose it would need tightening, if it is the plastic one they can crack and let in muck but that is rare
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As above - check whether the bracket or cup is loose, or the bearings are loose. If the latter, replace. If the former, tighten.
  • jt_intheuk
    jt_intheuk Posts: 146
    supersonic wrote:
    As above - check whether the bracket or cup is loose, or the bearings are loose. If the latter, replace. If the former, tighten.
    Apologies for hijacking this thread, I also noticed a slight wobble in my BB-ES25 bottom bracket when I wiggle the crank arms. Do you have to remove the cranks and chainrings before checking if anything is loose?
    I've got Soul.
  • cooldad
    If they wobble it's probably the bearings fubared.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    it was the drive side that was loose on mine and the crank was taken off and all the other bits that go with it this was in my lbs and just tightend up now when the presure is increase ie going up hills it clicks so its prob time for a new one

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    One side cannot be loose by itself (if it the bearings) as both cranks would wobble together.

If the splines are worn then one crank arm may come loose, but that is not the bearings, would mean a new crank arm.

If it is just the cups, again, nothing to do with the bearings - reinstall, maybe with some locktite.