Garmin 800 users........or cheaper alternative?

2»

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The 800 is the new 705. Basically has a nice touch screen and slightly updated mapping and OS maps.

You can get OpenMTB maps for the 705, which have everything you need for off road. City Nav or Open Maps are needed for road - City Nav ones are expensive (can be got on the 'underground' if you know where to look).

Quite happy with my 705, and it's robust. The 800 is slightly harder to see in bright sun, but has the added advantage of OS mapping.
  • I got the Ordanance Survey bundle. I bought it from Wiggle when they had a special promotion on. Got 20% of the full price so i decided to go for it. I was a bit unsure at first due to the cost but have not regretted it one bit.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Cheers handful & chiefinspector.

The decision ATM is whether or not to pay the extra for the OS mapping. Especially when I can map a ride at home on bikehike, so I know it'll be following ROWs, and then follow the line on a map that might not be 100% complete.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I'd get the performance bundle and see how you get on with the OSM maps. You get two mounts in the box so you can put the cadence sensor on your CX and ride like a pro :)

If you don't get on with the OSM you can buy the OS maps on ebay quite reasonably.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017