Coed y Brenin

bwstokie
bwstokie Posts: 115
edited May 2012 in Routes
Hi guys

If you have a full day and a half day to ride here which trails would you do?

Mainly ride at Cannock and find the Red no problem at all. Had a bash at the black sections today for the first time and found most of it ok but struggled a bit with the section where the main rock gardens are so I suppose this could eliminate a bit of CYB as I want to enjoy it h first time.

Cheers

Comments

• milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    what order are your day and a half in?

I'd be tempted to make The Beast your full day's trip. Then any of the reds for your half, MBR perhaps. There might be a few bits you find scary but in between them there's plenty you won't, so it should still be lots of fun.
  • bwstokie
    The first day is the full day which will be a Saturday.

I was thinking Dragons Back Saturday, MBR Sunday?

Don't want to take on too much on Saturday and spoil Sunday.

What sort of 'stuff' is on the black routes?

Cheers
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    You might find you have some spare time on Saturday that way. But could always go do Cyflym Coch after Dragon's Back if you're in the mood for more, that's pretty short. In terms of black stuff... from what I know it's mainly just a few rocky bits. There's nothing particularly airborne going on (unless you want to) or big drops that I can recall.
  • Trapper
    Trapper Posts: 35
    My favourite weekend option is the Beast on Saturday, but take a tarmac uphill short cut from the bottom of Herman to the start of Gomez to miss out a few miles of boring fire road. Do the Tawr trail Sunday morning and then you will have done all of the best bits at CYB!!!!!! 10 x better than Cannock
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    As said, Coed Y is 10x better than Cannock. The black stuff is all easy there, especially if it's dry.

If it was me i'd do Dragon's Back and Tarw. Though if you've got the legs for it swap dragon's back for beast as it's got more good bits.

The forest is super easy to find your way around so you could just get a map and ride the bits you fancy linking it all up with fire roads? Some good bits are Dreamtime, all of the Addam's Family, the bits on MBR (false teeth, cain, abel etc) Pink Heifer, Beginning of the End, Seven Sisters. I tend to just try link as much stuff up as I can then quit when I get tired.

there's a fairly new blue section near the trail centre that's fun too, just a load of 180 degree berms with a push up track next to it, not bad for a session or a little race if you fancy some elbows out action
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Trapper wrote:
    My favourite weekend option is the Beast on Saturday, but take a tarmac uphill short cut from the bottom of Herman to the start of Gomez to miss out a few miles of boring fire road. Do the Tawr trail Sunday morning and then you will have done all of the best bits at CYB!!!!!! 10 x better than Cannock

This.

Or the Beast on Saturday and then go back and ride your favourite bits from that on the Sunday as they are very easy to piece together.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    milko9000 wrote:
    You might find you have some spare time on Saturday that way. But could always go do Cyflym Coch after Dragon's Back if you're in the mood for more, that's pretty short. In terms of black stuff... from what I know it's mainly just a few rocky bits. There's nothing particularly airborne going on (unless you want to) or big drops that I can recall.

that's a great little trail - apart from the long fire raod ride back to the centre. i had a n hour to spare whilst working up there and did it. great for a short blast :D
  • bwstokie
    Nice one everyone, think I know what we're doing then!

Majski - you say the black stuff is all easy there, do you mean at Cannock?

Got a week off early June so going to pop over to Llandegla as its only an our from me for a day - is it worth it? Other option is Cannock but I'm getting a bit bored of it to be honest!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    bwstokie wrote:

Got a week off early June so going to pop over to Llandegla as its only an our from me for a day - is it worth it? Other option is Cannock but I'm getting a bit bored of it to be honest!

if you've never ridden llandegla before it's worth the trip - it's pretty easy and good fun, but nothing like coed-y-brenin really. but yeh, i can ride llandegla in about an hour and a half, but they do have a skills area and some other bits and pieces to play on :D
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    If you are there for a long time I suggest you take the scenic route as well. Very pretty. I love this forest and just the place gives me a buzz.
    Definitly a forest for you to take GF or loved ones with. Very romantic scenic route, they should have call it the Love Route.
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    bwstokie wrote:

Sorry I meant Coed Y black sections, nothing hard it's all rollable and not steep. Can be a bit tricky at speed in places I suppose.

Llandegla is worth a blast. Used to be crap but they've improved the 2nd half of the route massively now though. Whatever you do though make sure you do the black run. It's really really easy (easier than Coed Y / Cannock / Anywhere i've ridden) and the red is a bit pap.
  • Trapper
    Llandegla is well worth a trip. It's 2hr trip for us, but we go for the fact that every turn of the pedal uphill is rewarded by some fast flowing fun. The added bonus is that the cafe does excellent food, served by gorgeous lasses!
  • Trapper
    PS

IMO, Llandegla is 7x better than Cannock!