Boardman Bikes

bowden769
bowden769 Posts: 143
edited July 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi

I am looking at getting a boardman bike for my birthday in July

i was hoping to get this http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Is there any reasons why i shouldn't get it, whats the ride like etc ? Any one had bad experiences with boardman bikes

I will be riding trails and some road/ toll paths

Thanks

Comments

• ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I've got the same bike, fantastic bike. Only thing to look out for isn't the bike itself but how Halfords put them together, just make sure you check everything.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • bowden769
    cool!!

I know - will go over it with i fine comb!!!
  • Jake2.0
    Jake2.0 Posts: 46
    Join British cycling and you get 10% off vouchers. Theres also normally a 10% off code available just do a google search. I ended up paying only £810 for the Hartail pro real bargain.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    While your there have a look at the voodoo range particularly the voodoo hoodoo given 5/5 by bike radar recently and its been reduced by another £50 now to £450! Absolute bargain!

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... o-12-46194

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499
  • bowden769
    i looked at the voodoo but i actually prefer the boardman - the spec is better imo. Thanks for the suggestion tho !

Jake

Do you know if you can used both voucher together?
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    You may be able to use the vouchers together, just depends whether they say "not to be uses in conjunction with any other voucher" on them. Also if you know some one who is a student, they can get 10% off for you with their student card.

I work in Halfords and i know we don't have a great reputation but that's because a lot of the part timers aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. The mechanics like myself will always ensure a perfect build :). A good way to make sure its built properly is turning up early for the bike and watching them build it.

I have had no problem with the Boardman Comps. We only ever get them in for general wear and tear repairs. Its the BB30s/MegaExo BBs in the Team and Pro that can cause problems because we had a batch that came in without enough grease in them. The Hoodoo is my preferred choice out of the two but that just because i stay clear of SRAM drivetrain. Shimano all the way for me.
  • bowden769
    Hi Guys

still not brought the bike yet been in hospital and going back in on tuesday.

i have been thinking - could i get better form the money ?? £650 max
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I've also got the Boardman Comp and can't recommend it enough. You will struggle to get anything else as well specced for the price.

As far as Halfords go, I did have a couple of problems. The gears and brakes weren't set up properly but to be honest I quite enjoyed tinkering with the bike to get them spot on though. Other problems were a stripped thread on the crank arm and the lockout packing up on the forks. To Halfords credit though they changed the crank and sorted the lockout without hesitation under warranty and to be honest I got excellent service from them. When I took the bike in for the fork, I also mentioned that the rebound adjuster had dropped out half way round the red route on Cannock Chase, not just the knob but the holder as well, I dont think it was screwed in enough which may have been my fault but again they fitted a new one without question and free of charge.

In short, the Comp is a great bike and I don't think you will regret getting one.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • bowden769
    ElliesDad wrote:
    I've also got the Boardman Comp and can't recommend it enough. You will struggle to get anything else as well specced for the price.

As far as Halfords go, I did have a couple of problems. The gears and brakes weren't set up properly but to be honest I quite enjoyed tinkering with the bike to get them spot on though. Other problems were a stripped thread on the crank arm and the lockout packing up on the forks. To Halfords credit though they changed the crank and sorted the lockout without hesitation under warranty and to be honest I got excellent service from them. When I took the bike in for the fork, I also mentioned that the rebound adjuster had dropped out half way round the red route on Cannock Chase, not just the knob but the holder as well, I dont think it was screwed in enough which may have been my fault but again they fitted a new one without question and free of charge.

In short, the Comp is a great bike and I don't think you will regret getting one.

thanks for your help, my halfords seem to be ok, if not i shall take it to a lbs for them to check it over :mrgreen:

cant wait to get it - should be at the end of the month, once i have recovered from my operation :(