Best value 10 speed chain

coursemyhorse
coursemyhorse Posts: 192
edited November 2017 in MTB buying advice
I read a lot of love for KMC chains on here, but I can see either a really cheap one with no reviews, or expensive ones that are £45-£55. Do gold ones rub off on the cassettes like some of the reviews complain? I'm really after the cheapest 10 speed chain that is still decent that has replacable links with it. This will be for a 1x10 setup on a rear shimano 11-36 cassette if that makes a difference.

Comments

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    KMC x10 l. About £30 for the gold version, or a bit cheaper for the standard. A good balance of strength, weight and cost. The gold on mine is just starting to wear after about 12 months of all weather riding. It is still less than .75 on the chain checker too.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    This is all you need: http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/transmission-gears/chains/kmc-x10-93-10-speed-chain.html

Light ones aren`t as strong,doubt the gold last any better.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • leaflite
    doubt the gold last any better.

I think the main purpose of the gold is the look somehow. If you have a bike with a red or gold colour scheme, it will look quite good on it. As I said, the finish is fairly durable too. However, if it doesnt suit the colour of your bike or is much more expensive, I would go for the standard version-I havent noticed any improvement in performance over the nickel chain on the titus.

I wouldnt bother with the sl (the £50 one), but I think the l version is worth the extra over the .93 as it is lighter and it hasnt broken yet!
  • coursemyhorse
    So based on the above recommendations in order of price there is:

KMC DX10SC = £14 off ebay < what does the D mean in DX10 as opposed to just X10 ?

KMC X10-93 = £19.96 off wiggle

KMC X10-L = £29.99 silver, £34.99 gold off CRC

I wonder what the weight difference between 93 and L is. Thanks guys. I will check these out.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Based on experience of a SRAM 991 hollow pin and a conventional 991 I reckon you`d be looking at 10-15g difference in weight.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • coursemyhorse
    From a quick google I found weight figures given for 93 and SL as below: (couldn't find info on just the bare L)

KMC X10-93 = 265g, 268g, 280g
    I’m going to assume worst case as 280g

KMC X10-SL = 240g, 250g
    I’m going to assume best case as 240g

The 93 is half the price of the SL. The SL is only 14% lighter. The 93 looks a good buy to me.
  • leaflite
    From a quick google I found weight figures given for 93 and SL as below: (couldn't find info on just the bare L)

KMC X10-93 = 265g, 268g, 280g
    I’m going to assume worst case as 280g

KMC X10-SL = 240g, 250g
    I’m going to assume best case as 240g

The 93 is half the price of the SL. The SL is only 14% lighter. The 93 looks a good buy to me.

Dont know how soon you need it to arrive, but I just spotted a brand new gold x10 sl on ebay(from taiwan) for £27.

If not, based on those weights, the .93 looks like the best value buy.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    But the X10 SL DLC in Black/Red looks super pimp. Pity is £70 or something...
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Papa Ado
    Papa Ado Posts: 76
    The DX10SC's pin is treated differently than the X10 series chains. It also lack's the "X bridge" of the X10.

KMC 10 speed series levels: DX10SC, X10 (.93 silver/gray, .99 silver, titanium gold), X10L, X10EL, X10SL

Weight difference between the X10 and X10L (112 links): approx 16g. The X10SL will save you approx 35g (vs the X10).

Titanium gold coating actually is an improvement with less friction. DLC coating is our best.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    L and SL stuff for weight weenies, racing. Not convinced they'll be tough enough for general use.

Value for money - KMC X10.93

Probably the most durable chain on offer for 10 speed and even if it costs a little more than some it will last longer, so... value for money. Comes with a Missing Link to join the chain but no spare so might want some spares (they're not cheap though, but they are reusable. That said they may be less likely to snap so still good value).

Silver/Gold - just for bling. Looks nice, but not value for money, unless you value bling.
  • KMC X10-93 from Laxzo ebay.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have you been saving that up for all this time?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, I think the OP will have a chain by now!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    ..and I don't think it is real gold these days.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Now you're just a spam monkey.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    At least we know his next post won't be until October 2018!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Best chains I have used - SRAM . Just avoid the split link and get a kmc missing link

Worst chain I have used - Wippermann Connex. There is way to much lateral movement in them so they vibrate in higher gears. They also don’t like 11t cogs with their own connector. Constantly skip and jump as it rolls over the teeth.
  • The Rookie
    I'm sure the OP has found a chain in the last 5 1/2 years!
  • On my enduro bike I run the 10 speed shimano HG Devore chain and they are about £13 each and I have used 2 in the last 13 months and that is with about 700 miles to a chain
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    KMC chains are gold due to Ti nitride coating - so not real gold. It is supposed to reduce friction and offer better protection, the first I have no way of measuring, and in fact would question that as it is only on the outside that the coating is applied, if you split the chain, the areas hidden from view and thus that are in contact with each other are not coated so would not benefit from the lower friction claim. Secondly they coating does wear off over time - I'm not sure if the chains are stainless steel but I do not see them rusting.

oh, best place to buy is from China/Taiwan/HK on ebay - usually come in plastic bag but look to pay £ 22 ish for X10SL - the top end 10 speed version.
  • 02GF74 wrote:
    KMC chains are gold due to Ti nitride coating - so not real gold.

Damn. And here I was looking for one to buy for my wife as a necklace. Guess it’ll have to be a goldie lookin chain instead.

Just to clear it up, silver ones are not real silver either then? Don’t want it to tarnish ya see!