Reasonably long day ride NEWB

ProK
ProK Posts: 2
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Ok hey all. Im not a newbie to mountain biking, been on and off for the past <too many> years now. However, most of my jaunts have been sub 10 miler blasts. I'm about to plan to do Helmsley to Whitby on the cleveland way which is around 76 miles. I'll be attempting this end of June.

I'm pretty sure I am fit enough, but I am struggling to think what extra stuff I need to pack for the route. So far I've got

Windproof/showeproof jacket
Phone + spare phone with GPS + Maps.
Spare pants/shorts
Warmer top
2 spare innertubes plus tyre lever + cartridge pump
multitool
Bunch of food
Bunch of cash

It's my birthday beforehand so i'll probably get a camelbak HAWG to shove it all in. Am I missing something?

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    ProK wrote:
    Windproof/showeproof jacket
    Phone + spare phone with GPS + Maps.
    Spare pants/shorts
    Warmer top
    2 spare innertubes plus tyre lever + cartridge pump
    multitool
    Bunch of food
    Bunch of cash

I'd leave the extra shorts/trousers, swap the Co2 pump for a regular pump and throw in some patches (and probably a tyre boot), only take a £5/10 note and card, add some random zipties, and maybe a knife/leatherman and a torch, just-in-case. Why 2 phones (I have no idea how 'wild' this route is, but it sounds like it's probably reasonably well trafficed)? Surely 1 is enough, and do you mean paper maps or on the phone? Get a proper map and compass and learn how to read them if you see a real chance of getting lost (you can always pair it with the phones GPS).

You'll notice a pretty big difference going from 10miles to 76 in one go. Try and progressively extend your rides before then.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    ID tags or similar , small first aid kit and leave a route card with someone responsible and let them know where your starting from and roughly what time.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • cycle monster
    cycle monster Posts: 448
    Plenty to drink! Doubtless you will fill the bladder in your Hawg. No harm in having a bottle or two of sports drink for recovery/boost. Taking some mates would be an idea too. Let someone know where you are going and roughly how long you expect it to take you.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Just take the usual stuff, pump, patches spare tube or two, tyre levers, multitool...
    And add in a load of food and drink, and a waterproof or showerproof jacket.
    Job done.
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    Chaintool (if not on your multi)/SRAM powerlinks.
    1st aid kit
    Foil blanket (weighs nothing)

Don't know how remote your route is. The further you are from civilisation the more self sufficient you need to be and the less use £50 in your pocket is...

You may want to consider a spoke key to straighten a buckled wheel.
    Zip ties can do numerous things from holding a tyre sidewall gash together to turning your bike into a fixie if your freewheel goes.

The most important thing to do is know how to use this stuff if you are isolated....
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    A couple of energy bars / gels - if you tire you might not realise until you hit the wall. Energy gels perk you up quicker than normal food.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.