Goodbye Robbie McEwen

inkyfingers
inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
edited July 2012 in Pro race
I know that sprinters are not universally admired on here, but I just wanted to pay tribute to Robbie McEwen, who will ride his last race as a pro today in the ToC. A three time winner of the Green jersey, winner of a dozen stages in both the Giro and the Tour plus countless other races during his long career.

I have always liked Robbie, and always admired his character, his tenacious style and incredible bike handling. He spent many of his best years riding in teams that didn't really give him the kind of support that many of his contemporaries had but, at risk of sounding like Phil and Paul, his incredible ability to get himself into the right position, hide away then appear in the final few hundred metres and snatch the win with little support made him all the more impressive in my view. His palmares may have lacked a San Remo or World Championship win but I doubt he'll have too many regrets and hope he'll enjoy his new job coaching the sprinters at GreenEdge, they couldn't wish for a better mentor.

ipad-art-wide-robbie-mcewen-420x0.jpg

Robbie-McEwen-001.jpg
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Well said.

Robbie is simply a star, and he did it the hard way. Just imagine what his palmares would have looked at if there had been a Greenedge, Sky or HTC train at his disposal. Glad he's not leaving the sport though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Everyone sort of likes McEwen don't they?

Can't think of many people who don't.

I just remember an interview he did in the tour where on a medium stage a rival green jersey man went up the road. The interviewer asked him why everyone was complaining about his behaviour in the eploton and he said "too right! I was sh!tting it with a guy up the road, and no bugger would help!". Quite.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    610x-62.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    bye now
    Contador is the Greatest
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Always a fan. Shame he never had the gas for a San Remo, but outstanding career anyway.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    One of the greats. I've always been a fan and he's a class act. Top work, fella.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    del
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers

Thanks for that Frenchie, some great photos and memories there. During the years of Armstrong domination the battle for the sprints and the green jersey really helped to liven up the Tour de France.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Fabulous. Thanks Frenchie!
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Sorry to see him go. What a great career and good attitude and no scandal tainted him from what I read over the years. One thing I will say, pretty sure he and Boonen in 2006 TDF did the index fingers jabbing at chest on taking the win ..I think Boonen did it first and Robbie responded by winning and doing same next day..and so started this egotistical index finger jabbing at the sponsor logo and chest of rider..the declining standard of victory salutes!
  • rick_chasey
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Sorry to see him go. What a great career and good attitude and no scandal tainted him from what I read over the years. One thing I will say, pretty sure he and Boonen in 2006 TDF did the index fingers jabbing at chest on taking the win ..I think Boonen did it first and Robbie responded by winning and doing same next day..and so started this egotistical index finger jabbing at the sponsor logo and chest of rider..the declining standard of victory salutes!

:lol:

Well it was a Belgian team rivalry.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Dave_1 wrote:

yeah, just the body language gets me..very egotistical.. the two hands' index fingers jabbing at the self/chest/logo area....as if we didn't know how good they were.
  • rick_chasey
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

yeah, just the body language gets me..very egotistical.. the two hands' index fingers jabbing at the self/chest/logo area....as if we didn't know how good they were.

Less egotistical than the 'looking over your shoulder' Cippo move, but then, you'd expect that.

The lotto-QS rivalry was still riding pretty high at that point.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Excellent photos as always Frenchie :)
  • He came, he saw, he did a wheelie in the mountains. Good guy.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    When's his bloody book gonna be available on Amazon? Itching to read it.
  • inkyfingers
    RoyPSB wrote:

It's already out isn't it? My Mrs bought it for me for Christmas, it's halfway down a big pile of books I still have to read but i'm looking forward to it.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    RoyPSB wrote:

It's already out isn't it? My Mrs bought it for me for Christmas, it's halfway down a big pile of books I still have to read but i'm looking forward to it.

I't available again now. But at £14.24 for a paperback, it's not heading my way just yet.
  • frenchfighter
    Cnews have done one also:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/gal ... -in-photos

2003, Alpe
    pic68774563_600.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2012
    Did a book signing with his wife and kids in attendance
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    In was at the worlds in 2005, stood 500 metres from the start line, riders were just messing about waiting to start and Robbie went past pulling a one armed wheelie eating a banana, quite a bike a rider.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Just loved his wheelies :D:D
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Getty
    e3267206bb686e0075951a2d8353d58f-getty-511827261.jpg

"OK, Dougal - one last time. These are small McEwens... but the one out there is far away."
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Super fast on a bike and a ruthless businessman!

133_medium.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    McEwenfeedsTDF16_712-027.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    He's been doing some co-commentating for Sporza, chilling in their after stage chatshow too, and has made an appearance on the Dutch equivalent too.

Dutch is far better than mine. Makes me sad.