gear cable

dazzzer
dazzzer Posts: 72
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My gear cable is still quite new but having adjust my front derailleur a few times a few pieces of the wire has un tangled from the bottom excess and started moving upwards , I am wondering if I should replace the cable although the cable seems to be in one piece where its clamped in at the derailleur, but I have noticed the wire strands come apart quite easy once they start .

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes new one. Use proper cutters and an end cap.
  • OCLV74
    OCLV74 Posts: 53
    as long as it hasn't progressed past where it is clamped it'll be fine, if you haven't used end caps, twist the wires back together as tight as you can then use some pliers to give it a good twist, then fit an end cap or use a blob of solder.
    It is written in The Bible, wasps were born from Satan's butthole and must be cleansed with fire, firearms, or vacuum cleaners.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just get a new one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dazzzer
    Might be a bit of a lame question here but i think the cable wire i have on my bike is jagwire that’s what it says on the outer tube , I was looking at my friends inner gear wire he got from Halfords and it looks a little bit thin than my cable. Will this matter ?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It's the inner part that matters. You can get different width cable but I bet yours are both 1.2mm
  • dazzzer
    yer might be just the way it looks then his cable is older than mine .