gear cable

dazzzer
dazzzer Posts: 72
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My gear cable is still quite new but having adjust my front derailleur a few times a few pieces of the wire has un tangled from the bottom excess and started moving upwards , I am wondering if I should replace the cable although the cable seems to be in one piece where its clamped in at the derailleur, but I have noticed the wire strands come apart quite easy once they start .

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's on the tail after the clamp point just leave it until it becomes an aissue, when replacing the cable use end ferrules to keep it neat.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Did you not ask the same question yesterday. They are £3, buy a new one.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    74p from wilkinsons!

Groundhog day viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12855002
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you really want to save some cash and the cables are in good condition - replace the rear with the new one, and then cut back the old rear to go on the front.