Cube Reaction Pro 2012 Sizing

diddyfunk
diddyfunk Posts: 252
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Hi Guys

I am looking to purchase a Cube Reaction Pro 2012 and am having difficulty deciding between the 16" or 18" frames.

I am 5ft 7.7 and come 2cm into the 18" frame. I think I have got short (ish) arms for my size.

I have a bad lower back and am wondering if more or less room would give me a better riding position.

Although an 18" would allow me to alter the position a bit more (shorter stem etc) would I loose anything by just going with the 18" - is standover an issue?

Below is a (bad) picture of me on a Cube Ltd pro 18" (didn't have any Reactions). The reaction 18" has a 1cm longer top tube and a lower riser bar.

What do you guys think?

photo1.jpg

Below is a picture of me on my current bike

photo2.jpg

Any suggestions would be most welcome

Many thanks
2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg

Comments

• Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Looking at the photo, the Cube 18" looks fine. More importantly, how does it feel?
    I found that there was a lot of cross-over between the 18" and 20" when I was buying mine. I could have gone for either, but I do a few longer rides and the larger frame was a more comfortable riding position. The downside was that the bike wasn't quite as 'chuckable' on tight trails.

What sort of stuff do you ride? Does your back hurt more when you ride?
    I only ask because your old bike looks like it is set up for short bouncy trails - looks a bit cramped for longer XC stuff.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • diddyfunk
    Thanks for the reply

I usually do about 3 hours + rides and do like the technical stuff (not thinking of anything majorly gravity fed), a few little jumps etc but also want to be able to do longer rides like the London to Brighton off road which I'm hoping to do this year.

I found a shop that had a reaction (just not the same spec).
    Pic below of me on a reaction 18" - what do people think about the position?

777445cb.jpg

Many thanks
  • Dubdemand
    Dubdemand Posts: 37
    Looks like a better fit on the 18" frame tbh... Just about to order the Reaction GTC Pro myself if bike-discount.de ever reply to my email!
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    2nd pic looks spot on to me.
    (remember when you buy it to get some new pedals - or try to get them to give you some for free. Annoys the hell out of me that you spend a grand on a bike and they stick on some £2 piece of crap).

And you will need bicycle clips though. And I would loose the tie. Probably flap in your face on the downhills.
  • diddyfunk
    @ longtimelurker

Just to clarify, you think the last pic (of me with a shirt and tie) looks spot on?

It did feel nice. I will pop a riser bar on it when I get it as I feel more at home with one

Thanks
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I've a LTD Race not a Reaction but am the same height as you also with a bad back (slipped a disc a couple of years back). I ride a small (16") frame and it feels perfect for me - I prefer feeling a little less stretched out and having the slightly lower standover height can be nice.

The bike (well biking in general) has actually helped my back and I get less problems now than I used to through strengthening core muscles.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Diddy - yes, the one with the shirt/tie combo.
    That bike size looks on the money to me.
  • diddyfunk
    Thanks for the feedback

Any other comments would be greatfully recieved

Thanks