New here best place to get bike serviced? Headset issues.

JONNYG4
JONNYG4 Posts: 15
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi there I am new to mountain biking and new to the forums. I am not very mechanically minded at the moment so I would like to ask your opinions on a few things.

I bought an orange G4 from jejames cycles about 2 months ago. I am very happy with it in general but I have a few little niggles.

The headset seems to creek when I rotated the steering and seems very rough. It is this standard Tange TG8 that comes with the bike. Is this normal? I think it has got worse since I had the bike?

Other thing is I got the bike from jejames because it was a good deal but it’s a bit inconvenient to take it back there for them to have a look at. I also want to get the bike serviced. I was looking at swinnerton cycles at cannock chase just wondering do they know their stuff? And what should a normal bike service cost and include?

If I do need to replace the headset what should I replace it with and roughly how much should they charge me to do the work?

Thanks in advance and sorry for being a noob!

Comments

• IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Welcome to the family ,

It sounds to me like the bearings are dry and possibly the headset seems as though its over tightened by what you've described so in reality you should take the bike back or at least phone the shop and explain the situation in which case they will probably tell you to bring the bike to the shop for them to examine or possibly send you a replacement head set , as for a service i'm not sure on cost but i should imagine a general clean up of the bearings on the wheels and checking and tweeking the gears and all would be around £20 pounds but i'm not sure how good Swinnerton Cycles are but i think their will be some other members who will help you later on on that point .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What's wrong with your bike to need it servicing?

Have a read on park tools about the headset, all you might need is a 5mm and some grease
  • JONNYG4
    JONNYG4 Posts: 15
    What's wrong with your bike to need it servicing?

Have a read on park tools about the headset, all you might need is a 5mm and some grease

Nothing that I am aware of I just don’t really trust my bike has been put together properly as the headset hasn’t been right since day 1 (didn’t know it was a problem until somebody told me)

Also they set my air forks up in the shop and when I came to checking them myself they weren’t pumped up to anywhere near the psi they should have been. (I didn’t know how they should have been until recently) Also the brake pads were rubbing but I have fixed this problem.

Anything could be wrong with it I just want somebody else to check over it to put my mind at rest.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A shop can't set up your forks unless you are on the bike at the time. You need to do it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools