Contraversial vid!

steelie600
steelie600 Posts: 519
edited May 2012 in The Crudcatcher
I know Orange bikes are a bit marmite around these parts so I thought safest way is to post it in the crud so it can get ripped to poo poo and praised in equal measure. I was watching some tt vids, and trying to find me on em from back in the day and saw this in the suggested vids bit. It might have already been posted but to be honest I cant be farked searching to see.

Enjoy

Video
Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph

Comments

• Saw this a while ago and I think it's great, sure Orange's tend to look like they're constructed from old bed frames and victorian baths, but the guys in the workshop, as well as Guy Martin's childlike enthusiasm, really make this a really good glimpse into the inner workings of a mountain bike company.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Interesting watch, certainly. Shows how the application of accessible technologies can still be applied to bikes (it's not all about hydro-forming and mandrel-butting). Whether it builds a bike you can live with is a different story, and the subject of many a thread.

I won't go into my usual rant about the definition of a 'monocoque', though. The muppets.

<mutter mutter mutter>
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • steelie600
    Ive raced against guy aeons ago and he is as mad as a box of frogs BUT a bloody nice guy!! WHen he hurt himself at the TT we all grew massive sideboards out of respect and all sent him pictures of us with sideys!!

I had a shaved head shaved face all it was were two great Chops on the side of me head LOL
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Clank wrote:
    Interesting watch, certainly. Shows how the application of accessible technologies can still be applied to bikes (it's not all about hydro-forming and mandrel-butting). Whether it builds a bike you can live with is a different story, and the subject of many a thread.

I won't go into my usual rant about the definition of a 'monocoque', though. The muppets.

<mutter mutter mutter>
    What do they think it means?
  • steelie600

According to Orange and I quote from the video "its essentially a pressed and moulded shape"

HOWEVER

From Wikipedia
    "Monocoque (pronounced /ˈmɒnɵkɒk/ or /ˈmɒnɵkoʊk/) is a construction technique that supports structural load by using an object's external skin, as opposed to using an internal frame or truss that is then covered with a non-load-bearing skin or coachwork. The term is also used to indicate a form of vehicle construction in which the body and chassis form a single unit."
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Clank
    steelie600 wrote:

According to Orange and I quote from the video "its essentially a pressed and moulded shape"

HOWEVER

From Wikipedia
    "Monocoque (pronounced /ˈmɒnɵkɒk/ or /ˈmɒnɵkoʊk/) is a construction technique that supports structural load by using an object's external skin, as opposed to using an internal frame or truss that is then covered with a non-load-bearing skin or coachwork. The term is also used to indicate a form of vehicle construction in which the body and chassis form a single unit."

That'll do for me!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's a good vid.. But with monocoques, "Orange don't do owt fancy like that, they don't try and baffle you with science, they don't try and baffle you with bull**** names". Then you look at their website and almost every last halifax frame has "monocoque" in the description" :mrgreen:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Clank
    Northwind wrote:
    It's a good vid.. But with monocoques, "Orange don't do owt fancy like that, they don't try and baffle you with science, they don't try and baffle you with bull**** names". Then you look at their website and almost every last halifax frame has "monocoque" in the description" :mrgreen:

:lol: True dat!

• Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Mono = singular

Coque = sounds a bit like well er, c0ck

I've only ever been to Halifax once, but the girls I met there didn't seem like mono-coque was their idea of a good night out

many-coque more like, by some bins.

and some chips and kebab meat

note to self......visit Halifax again
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • steelie600
    Ive only been Halifax once, spent the night in Bradford nick! (long story)
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Halifax = Yorkshire = Tight with Whippets and Flat Caps
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    steelie600 wrote:

Doesnt that mean that the vast majority of bikes are monocoques?
  • steelie600
    No because they dont have an external load bearing skin. Most bikes I personally would consider space framed
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I had the pleasure of a girl from Halifax, twice.
  • Clank
    leaflite wrote:
    steelie600 wrote:

Doesnt that mean that the vast majority of bikes are monocoques?

Simple answer: no.

Complex answer (please look away now if you don't want to know the scores): a single tube is a monocoque. As soon as single tubes are assembled into a network of members and nodes (yes, I said 'member'), such as the conventional triangle, loads are carried around the perimeter of that triangle through the network and we have a strucutral frame (a simple space-frame). In a monocoque, that load could be passed directly across the centre of the triangle throuhg the skin of the part. Note that even single-piece, composite frames are structural frames, not monocques (loaded through the perimiter of the overal structure). Very few bikes are monocoque (the UCI have banned them, for starters) however Boardmans old 'superbike' was a true monocoque.

I had a Bradford lass twice, does that count?

• steelie600
    Clank wrote:

Not really, Might accept Huddersfield tho
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • compo
    Huddersfield? Its a sh!thole

Surprised you didn't get rabies
  • bennett_346
    Says the man from Bolton
  • Clank
    steelie600 wrote:
    Clank wrote:

Not really, Might accept Huddersfield tho

The Halifax Building Society screwed me over once. Royaly.

Any better?

• steelie600
    Getting there! LOL
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Clank
    steelie600 wrote:
    Getting there! LOL

Man! Tough crowd! :lol:

• compo
    Says the man from Bolton

Says the man from Gateshead :p
  • bennett_346
    compo wrote:
    Says the man from Bolton

Says the man from Gateshead :p
    Touche. Although i wasn't the one throwing stones in glass houses :wink: