Giant reign1/2 or Whyte 146s

Mupp1tt
Mupp1tt Posts: 5
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Ok so I'm in a lucky position where I can get my friends discount on a new bike. I have two options and as I'm pretty new to trails and DH I don't know what to go for. Giant Reign 1 or 2 or Whyte 146s / t120, I know there are quite big differences , but I'm stuck! I like the 4 link system on the giant and having all explained to me seems like a good reason, (I'm and engineer) however the Whyte is very very nice. Can anyone try to explain what or more so why I should go for one over the other.

More likely to be doing trail riding but I do go for things full on and would like a bike that will last me a good few years. Hence an ability to do some sizeable drops is needed which does. It help me as I'm aware that all these bikes are capable.

Comments

• FatMikeUK
    FatMikeUK Posts: 51
    Personaly I'd go with Whyte, 'cos I think they look fantastic, however the Giant is probably a much more sensible decision.
  • Biffz0id
    Biffz0id Posts: 123
    I would say the amount of snapped and cracked Whytes I see is pretty outrageous.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Biffz0id wrote:
    I would say the amount of snapped and cracked Whytes I see is pretty outrageous.
    Absolutely,the trails are littered with bits of Whyte frames.

Or to put it another way, bollocks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    FatMikeUK wrote:
    Personaly I'd go with Whyte, 'cos I think they look fantastic, however the Giant is probably a much more sensible decision.
    I think the Giant is proven, and will serve you better than the Whyte.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Reign is an excellent bike. Meastro suspension is really very good. I ride the Reign X and it's awesome, unless your really pushing hard on a DH track the standard Reign is better than the Reign X.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The reign is made of cheese though and will dent at the sight of even the smallest pebble. The 146 is a cracking bike and one of the best all rounders out there atm. It walks all over the giant in pretty much every area.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Personal the 160 giant, the bigger forks and so on, will reward as you progress on DH.

The whyte would be a better trail bike but the Giant more rewarding on more demanding DH, I never ridden a bad giant in the last few years.
  • lawman
    Personal the 160 giant, the bigger forks and so on, will reward as you progress on DH.

The whyte would be a better trail bike but the Giant more rewarding on more demanding DH, I never ridden a bad giant in the last few years.

The reigns the OP is looking at have 150mm forks, pressfit bb's with no iscg tabs, no bolt thru rear axle and the spec isn't anywhere near as good as the whyte, so if anything the whyte will be the better DH, and few trail bikes I've ridden out perform it downhill. yes the giant has a dropper post and the whyte doesn't, but overall even though the whyte is more expensive, the excellent frame, wheelset and groupset far out weigh the savings on the giant.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yeh i just noticed the 150 forks, was thinking of different bikes went back and reread which giant lol

Never been impressed by 150 bikes on the whole as they just don't seem to be any more capable than a 140 bike, compared to a 160 with the burlier stuff. But they carry a bit a of weight penalty over the 140's.
  • Mupp1tt
    Cheers for the opinions guys. I own a giant jump bike stp0 at the moment and must admit it is indestructible , and I have punished it by taking it down some red runs. Whyte seems to be an Awsome looking bike but So is the giant. Have been told to go for the best frame I can and ignore what is arround it. Still doesnt help with the difference in rear suspension set up. Anyone able to advise how the Whyte performs in regard to the geometry movement of the rear unit? I have found the giants but Whyte is illuding me
  • lawman
    The whyte is lighter, has slacker geometry and a longer wheelbase, lower bb height and while the stp is a tough bike as you say, the giants made nowadays, particularly the trail orientated ones, are made of tin foil, a quick google will even throw up numerous snapped glory's too. The whyte is a tough bike, I've not heard of any issues with them and it rides fantastically well. Best thing to do is get a demo on each, but I can guarantee you won't be disappointed with the whyte.
  • Mupp1tt
    @ LAWMAN,

I have been trying to find a whyte in a store near by, as of yet no luck. anyone know of a store in central scotalnd that has one. I have read quite a few posts about the "tin Foil" like DH Giants. Not something I want and in all honesty I like to try different things, It is always good to own one of each but sadly i never won the lottery ( might have helped if I bought a ticket , but i tend to make my own luck).

It is good to get non opinionated opinions! ie someone who can state the goods bads and ugly about both bikes. so thanks to every one that has helped.

I am tending toward the whyte, If i wasn't limited to whyte , specialized or giant I may have looked further a feild for my money but I thing the giant and whyte are my best bets ( whyte is more appealing) , something tells me I dont want a specialized but im sure some will tell me otherwise.

cheers guys
  • Hi, I’ve just built up a whyte 146. Bought an “S” as couldn’t get my paws on a frame only but bought it unboxed and sold the parts it came with. Fitted xt shifers and mechs, and an slx double and bash for a 2×9 setup. Not sold on the extra skinny 10sp chain ! The back end feels like a steel frame, ie: nice bit of twang when you push it, but it tracks really well and feels super stable. Just make sure the suspension bushings are torqued up correctly, mine weren’t and it felt a little loose until I checked and corrected it. I also put a set of 160mm lyriks up front, bit weighty, but really make the difference over the standard fox 32′s. I had a set of pimplite rims on hope hubs and a quick change of spacers in the back and on with a set of conti rubber queen 2.4′s. Kept the shiny easton bars but put a 40mm stem on to sharpen the steering on that super slack front end. I swapped the avid elixir brakes for formula k18′s and dropped a reverb seatpost in. Last but not least, my brooks colt. It may look a little out of place on such a modern looking bike but my bum requires a brooks for those longer rides. Sure I could build it lighter, but this is a bike that suits me down to the ground, the light frame means I can put some heavy components on there without ending up with a bike too heavy to pedal uphill.
    edit: just weighed it at 32 lbs, about 15kg (around 3kg or 6.6 lbs heavier than stock), no whippet, but good and stable for a talentless muppet like me :)