NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited May 2012 in Pro race
The Cooke v Armistead rivalry is showing on BBC1 today at 12.50pm - 132.0pm
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Thought there was a really weird comment from Cooke. She said something along the lines you are an Olympic champion for life, but your only a World Champion for a year.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I really don't like Armistead after seeing that. She comes across as a right arrogant cow.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Ooooooooooh, horses.

Are pearl studs back in fashion then?
  • Tusher
    Agreed, Nicole came over better then Lizzie. I don't envy the selectors on the day though.
  • greasedscotsman
    Tusher wrote:
    Agreed, Nicole came over better then Lizzie. I don't envy the selectors on the day though.

Yes, agree with you both. Apart from the Olympic champion comment from Cooke. It's like she was saying she was better than anyone else.
  • Tusher
    Nicole has a strong point though about the Olympics.
  • greasedscotsman
    What, that she won a race 4 years ago?
  • Tusher
    Wellllll. Sort of. But there is only one Olympic champion for every 4 world champions.
  • greasedscotsman
    I don't really see how that helps Cooke, if your saying the team should ride for her, rather than Armitstead. The Worlds and Olympics are very similar races, one isn't really any harder to win than another. And Armitstead isn't a World Champion anyway, not on the road.

Still, not sure I'd want to chose who Team GB should ride for. It's a shame they can't just see who's best on the day, let the road decide who they should ride for. Can't see that happening though, even though they say on the video there isn't a problem, I think there still is.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Number 1 rule in a road race team is ride to orders.
    Anyone who doesn't ride to orders shouldn't be there.
  • TMR
    Still, not sure I'd want to chose who Team GB should ride for. It's a shame they can't just see who's best on the day, let the road decide who they should ride for. Can't see that happening though, even though they say on the video there isn't a problem, I think there still is.

If they are both in the mix at the end then there's no reason why that can't or shouldn't happen.
  • greasedscotsman
    giropaul wrote:
    If they are both in the mix at the end then there's no reason why that can't or shouldn't happen.

Cooke only rides for herself and not the team, according to Armitstead.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    giropaul wrote:

Cooke only rides for herself and not the team, according to Armitstead.

She always has, mainly because for virtually all of her international career she has had to. It's only about 5 years ago GB started getting the riders through who could help her. That she did so well in Worlds gone by is testament to how good she was and even after a few poor years she has still been up there in the Worlds. I think the others should ride for Lizzie with Cooke being given a free rein as she is probably the best tactical rider we have. Lizzie won't win but Cooke might through sheer determination.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Cooke only rides for herself and not the team, according to everyone.
    FTFY
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I read this thread then watched the piece in question. TBH I didn't think that Armistead came across that badly. I think she feels it is her time but that positioning error at the last Worlds suggests to me she doesn't have Cooke's race brain.

I'm sure at this moment the numbers are being crunched in a computer somewhere by BC which will make the decision for team leader.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • greasedscotsman
    ToeKnee wrote:
    Cooke only rides for herself and not the team, according to everyone.
    FTFY

OK, fair enough. I was really doubting that's how Cooke rides or has ridden in the past, I was really quoting Armitstead.
  • greasedscotsman
    I'm sure at this moment the numbers are being crunched in a computer somewhere by BC which will make the decision for team leader.

OK, the computer has failed, who would you pick? And I think that the women can only have 3 riders in each team.
  • Yellow Peril

OK, the computer has failed, who would you pick? And I think that the women can only have 3 riders in each team.

If Armistead and Cooke are showing similar race form/results going into the race then only an idiot would not pick Cooke. She is tactically far more astute than most other women riders and has winning grit and determination.

Pooley would be the third woman for work rate and pulling back the breaks.
    @JaunePeril

• greasedscotsman
    If Armistead and Cooke are showing similar race form/results going into the race then only an idiot would not pick Cooke. She is tactically far more astute than most other women riders and has winning grit and determination.

Pooley would be the third woman for work rate and pulling back the breaks.

I know that Armitstead had won a couple of races so far this year, but has Cooke won anything? Would that change your selection?
  • Yellow Peril
    Only if it was apparent that Armistead was holding that form. It may be that Cooke has been playing the long game and looking to come in to shape in the next couple of months. Hopefully results over the next month or so will show that.

My preference for Cooke is based on an "all other things being equal" her race brain gives her the edge. If she is getting her @rse kicked by Armistead each week then I wouldn't pick Cooke to lead the team out of sentiment
    @JaunePeril

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,759
    Just watched it. I'm not reading anything into it really, it was edited to sensationalise, and struggled. Cooke's comment about being an Olympic Champion for life is what a programme called Olympic Dreams is all about. She's hardly going to comment about the Olympic road race being a chipper, and the World Championships is where it is all at!

Leadership on the day should be down to form, but if Lizzie wants the support of Nicole then perhaps she could show some respect? That said they might be quite similar, with one a couple of years a head of the other on the journey.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I really don't like Armistead after seeing that. She comes across as a right arrogant cow.

I don't agree. Confident, maybe. Arrogant? It's far from conclusive in that short film.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • TMR
    Ben6899 wrote:

I don't agree. Confident, maybe. Arrogant? It's far from conclusive in that short film.

The interpretation is clearly subjective, it's fine for you to feel otherwise ;)
  • greasedscotsman
    She's hardly going to comment about the Olympic road race being a chipper, and the World Championships is where it is all at!

No, but what she said is not correct. Your no more a Olympic Champion for life than a World Champion. If that's her arguement for why the Olympics is a more important race, which I think for the women it is, it's not a very good one.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,759
    Having been a World Champion herself, is it likely that she would want to belittle the title? I think that the comments should be viewed within the context of the programme being broadcast, which was about several Olympic sports, and the target Olympic loving BBC audience.
  • greasedscotsman
    Don't think anyone would disagree with giving the third spot on the team to Emma Pooley.