Places to live, nice commute in Glasgow?

thrope
thrope Posts: 69
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I might be moving to Glasgow in the autumn and we're going for our first visit at the start of June.

I'll be working in the University district and was wondering if anyone had any places to live that would give a pleasant commute of around 30 minutes? (or shorter but with a longer option for nice days). So I guess around 10-15km on the flat or less with a hill.
Or is the weather too bad for commuting regularly?
I read that you can cycle out of the city in 10 minutes, so maybe just somewhere on the edge where I could take a nice ride before work would be better? (but have an quicker bus commute for non-cycling days)

Also any pointers for non-road paths or trails (off-road as in away from cars rather than bumpy)? We are coming from south Germany where we are pretty spoilt with an amazing network of well signposted cycling routes seperate from the traffic (usually well away from roads).

Thanks

Comments

• Nice place to live and commute to Glasgow? Have you thought about Edinburgh? :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,977
    Never a truer word......

Which university? Presumably Glasgow rather than Strathclyde or Caledonian.

Bearsden or Milngavie if you can afford it. The footballers and lawyers don't live much further out than that, in Strathblane. With a bit of study of google maps and streetview, its possible to get in from there to the university on some back streets and parks. The River Kelvin has a path along it and so does the Forth and Clyde Canal. Other than the Great Western Road and the Maryhill Road, I seem to remember that a lot of the residential streets in that area are traffic calmed and closed off, but passable on a bike. Its fiddly but the commuting options are good.

The west end of Glasgow is like parts of Edinburgh. More so than Edinburgh though, it can go from gentrified to post appocalypse in the turn of a corner, so it is VERY important to have some local knowledge about where you live. But the university end of town will be a very pleasant area to work.

There are canals and river paths out of the centre of Glasgow if you like flat. And if you were living out towards Milngavie (pronounced Mill-Guy if you wish to avoid laughter at your expense) you are pretty much in the Campsies anyway so its not hard to extend a ride into country parks. As much as I personally dislike Glasgow, the surrounding countryside and accessibility to the highlands and the west coast are good.

Weather. Mmm. Not much I can say about that. Warmer and less windy than Edinburgh I suppose, but about as wet as Plymouth or Manchester I think. i.e. Twice as much rainfall as London or Edinburgh. Its wet. Get mudguards. Get used to it.