Bottom bracket compatability

mattmaximus
mattmaximus Posts: 132
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I'd better say first off that I have an troubling ignorance of BBs that google has thus far been unable to correct :shock:

Is it the frame, or the cranks, which determine whether you need British thread, Italian thread, BB30 or some other?

My current bike has a truvativ rouleur crank set which, I think, has a Giga x type external BB (at least, that's what it says on the website).

I have just ordered a Merckx emx-3 Frameset (very excited :D) which, AFAIK, would be supplied as a complete bike with an ultegra BB with Italian thread.

In spite of the terrifyingly strong urge to buy a shiny new groupset for the frame there really is nothing wrong with my current set-up (mainly da 7800) so I'm planning to swap everything over but I would rather know in advance if there are compatability issues.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I'd better say first off that I have an troubling ignorance of BBs that google has thus far been unable to correct :shock:

Is it the frame, or the cranks, which determine whether you need British thread, Italian thread, BB30 or some other?

My current bike has a truvativ rouleur crank set which, I think, has a Giga x type external BB (at least, that's what it says on the website).

I have just ordered a Merckx emx-3 Frameset (very excited :D) which, AFAIK, would be supplied as a complete bike with an ultegra BB with Italian thread.

In spite of the terrifyingly strong urge to buy a shiny new groupset for the frame there really is nothing wrong with my current set-up (mainly da 7800) so I'm planning to swap everything over but I would rather know in advance if there are compatability issues.

Thanks for your help and advice.

- The frame dictates the size (standard, BB30 etc) and thread.
    - The chainset dictates it's own comparability standard (Shimano Hollotech II, SRAM GXP etc)

There are also variations in Shimano BB's apparently (between their range) - but I don't know the particulars.

I personally like the Hope BB's as they support both Hollotech II and SRAM GXP (with a small adapter).
    Simon