Strange clicking sound

yeachan153
yeachan153 Posts: 401
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I have this strange clicking sound from my front wheel, and am at a loss as to what it is. So far I've checked brake rub, speedo magnet, QR skewers, none of those are causing it. The clicks are more noticeable at a slower speed. Anyone know what causes it? Wheels are PX Model B's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THJ4HrQvHXQ&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    sounds like something in the bearings to me chap. Probably just wants a clean and regrease
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • yeachan153
    Really? I put it on new today..
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    well theres something thats catching in the same points every turn. my best guess is something to do with bearing or bearing shields
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • yeachan153
    Maybe. I did spin the front wheel it as fast as I could with my hand and it spun for six minutes; so the bearings seem really good. Could it not be a spoke issue, the Model B's have aero spokes and the wheel is slightly out of true. When I do put my ear next to the wheel it sounds like the noise originates from inside the rim.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A bit of loose metal left in the rim maybe ? Loose valve ?
  • yeachan153
    OK, one more observation. The clicking sounds only occur when the tyre is at around 100 psi. When there's 20-40psi there is no clicking sound. I'll check for bits and bobs lying around in the rim tommorow.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Bearings, brake pads or spokes. How does it sound when under pressure - ie when out on the road? Slightly out of true? Try it of the frame - ie spinning the wheel while holding the quick release axle?
  • yeachan153
    Woody, it's not the pads for sure. I did take it off the bike, held it by the QR and spun it. No sound. But I did have to take all the pressure out before being able to take it out of my bike. When I put it back into the bike and spun it, the wheel spins silently. As soon as I add pressure, i.e. rideable pressure at around 100psi the click sound starts again!
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    If ton hear it at slower speeds sounds like speedo sensor clicking as magnet passes.
  • yeachan153
    Swapped inner tube and now the sound is gone.
  • Tregolwyn
    Tregolwyn Posts: 20
    Probably the inner tube then :D

Unidentified clicks and squeaks get on my nerves as well. Spent most of my last ride trying to isolate a squeak.
  • yeachan153
    Tregolwyn wrote:
    Unidentified clicks and squeaks get on my nerves as well. Spent most of my last ride trying to isolate a squeak.
    Yeah, it did my head in too, especially rhythmic squeaks and clicks!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    cougie wrote:
    A bit of loose metal left in the rim maybe ? Loose valve ?

^
    This, probably.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Well done. Would be good to start a sticky on the A to Z of clicking noises and we can all contribute.
  • Tregolwyn
    Tregolwyn Posts: 20
    Woodywmb wrote:
    Well done. Would be good to start a sticky on the A to Z of clicking noises and we can all contribute.

Good idea, something like this?

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12581556
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    ive got a massive click on my front wheel also - carbon 50 with glued on tyre, as this was my 1st try at glueing ive put it down to that, it rides ok just makes a noise i can live with it for a while longer :mrgreen:

ive glued the valve incase it was that NOPE, its a mystery glad you got yours sorted
  • wiganwarriors
    wiganwarriors Posts: 132
    Hi gents. I had a similar noise that appeared to be in the same place each revolution. Tried everything, eventually took the bike to my Lbs and they found the noise,the front derailier cable was a little long so every revolution the pedal was making contact with the cable.Simple as that.You never know could be the same issue, hope thats all it is.