Head wind is a Bitch

CyclingObsession
CyclingObsession Posts: 314
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Anyone got any good tips on cycling into headwinds? I just can't seem to get the power for them, had 35miles of head headwind at 17mph I thought I was going to die it sucked ass

Comments

• MarksMintness
    MarksMintness Posts: 484
    I would say get as low and aero as possible and don't be too proud to shift up a cog or two so it's slightly easier on the legs! But apart from that I'm not sure there's much else to be done about it. And yes it sucks ass, especially the ones that follow you around no matter what direction you seem to be going in :D
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Check wind direction before leaving house, plan route accordingly
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    MTFU
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Buy a power meter and worry less about speed and more about power? :lol:

OK, maybe just keep in a tuck as much as possible and accept that your speed will drop.

The MTFU comment isn't much use, but actually you really have to accept that wind in the UK is a fact of life, so you need to life with it. If you don't like the wind, MTBing is probably a better option in the UK :mrgreen:
    Simon
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    As mentioned above don't try and push too big a gear, change down and maintain the same kind of cadence you would normally whilst trying to stay as aero as possible.

Alternatively you could either find a big guy to cycle behind or try riding 120 miles into a headwind and throw in constant rain - after that 35 miles will seem easy!
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    It's been like this for a while and it's just the way the UK is.
    I find it rare to not have at least a fair few windy outings per month. Tucking in and getting as aero as possible is your best bet.
    I know it's highly demoralising as you're pushing more and more with little gain to show for it but it's about adjusting your mindset. Think of those headwind sessions as more intense forms of training and suck it up.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    All of what has been said plus headwinds burn glucose fast, lower cadence burns more glucose in your system than faster cadence, your muscles need fuel, eat fast acting cars (jam sandwich!) to give you the energy to combat those winds.

Or MTFA (move the fark away) :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • swede54
    swede54 Posts: 20
    Just be grateful you aren't riding the roads on an MTB, it would feel like that all the time :wink:
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Faired-in recumbent.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Do a loop -every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Headwind/Tailwind.
    Climb/Descend
    Eat/Sh@t
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    mattshrops wrote:

Headwind/Tailwind.
    Climb/Descend
    Eat/Sh@t

As a resident of cambridgeshire I have a fajrcamount of experience with wind...

And it doesn't work like that... there is a bigger range of angles where the wind will slow you down.. than the range of angles at which the wind will act as a tailwind.
  • turn your computer off
  • steveb1020
    steveb1020 Posts: 55
    Hi just something I do. Is check wind direction every time before I ride , but most definately whatever distance I do is try and ride the first half of the ride into the wind it's so much better knowing that the journey home is going to be faster and easier
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    mattshrops wrote:

Headwind/Tailwind.
    Climb/Descend
    Eat/Sh@t

As a resident of cambridgeshire I have a fajrcamount of experience with wind...

And it doesn't work like that... there is a bigger range of angles where the wind will slow you down.. than the range of angles at which the wind will act as a tailwind.

we're all doomed.might as well give up then.

just get on with it p@ssies
    Death or Glory- Just another Story