The Boardman Urban or Comp for my needs

Gaucho
Gaucho Posts: 4
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I'm looking to get a new Bike as my 10 year old Saracen Tufftrax has bit the dust.

It is mainly for light off-road and road use.

I'm heading towards the Urban mainly as I think it has been roughly £200 dearer bike at one point so it must have a better spec.

I don't know a thing about bikes and I am having second thoughts spending this much as I can go weeks without getting the bike out for a run.

Or would it be better to save cash and go for something like the Rockrider 8.1 or Voodoo Hoodoo or something in a lesser price range. Again, the bike will have to last another 10 years or so, so I think in the end it would be wiser to spend the extra on better quality if it meant it would last longer.

Also, what is the warranty that comes with the Boardmans bikes.

Ta for any advice.

Comments

• ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    The Urban is a lighter bike and has slightly better gears (X7 opposed to X5) and brakes (Elixir 3 opposed to Elixir 1) however you prabably wont notice the difference in the real world, but the Urban is a rigid bike whereas the Comp has suspension forks.

You need to think about what you want the bike for, if its just cycle paths and road then the Urban would probably do the job. If you want an MTB for riding on rougher trails, I would go for the Comp because of the forks. Also take into consideration what you may get into in the future.

As far as the Rockrider and Hoodoo go, they are very good bikes. The Rockrider has a very good spec for the money, slightly less so for the Hoodoo which is also quite heavy. I looked at both these along with the Comp, I ended up with the Comp in the end with a big factor being the Comp fitted me better and felt better than the others. I would have a look at all of them, try them for size and fit and take this into consideration when deciding which one to go for.

Lastly, the Comp comes with a two year frame warranty.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Gaucho
    Gaucho Posts: 4
    I can't see me going on tough trails.

I think i've made my mind up to get either Boardman. I will go and see them including the Rockrider 8.1 and take it from there though.

Another question, if replacing the tyres on the Urban with 2.25 ones, would I need a new inner tube or would the existing tube be ok :oops:

What tyres is recommended for light off-road and road use.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    Inner tubes fit a range of tyre sizes and these will be marked on the tube. You will probably need new tubes though.

As for tyres, hybrid tyres will give low rolling resistance whereas fatter knobbly tyres give more grip on rougher surfaces. If you aren't going on trails I wouldn't really go for fatter tyres. I do a fair bit if road work as well as trails and run 2.1 off road tyres. When on the road I just pump them up to a higher pressure so they roll better.

As for the bike, I would go for the Comp or the Rockrider, unless you can guarantee you won't ever want to try trails then these would be a better all round bike.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you feel the need for 2.25 tyres on the Urban you are probably looking at the wrong bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools