Pump for wheels and shock?

OCLV74
OCLV74 Posts: 53
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've been looking to buy a decent pump, but as I have some Rebas was wondering if I can spend a bit more on a great track pump which can also be used on my forks? Is this even possible? Or will I destroy my forks? Reason I ask is shock pumps are like £20+ and I have almost justified spending £50 odd on a decent track pump! Ty in advance
It is written in The Bible, wasps were born from Satan's butthole and must be cleansed with fire, firearms, or vacuum cleaners.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Buy 2.
  • vanamees
    vanamees Posts: 75
    Nothing will happen to your forks but its extremely hard or impossible to pump 120 - 150 psi with track pump
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    OCLV74 wrote:
    I've been looking to buy a decent pump, but as I have some Rebas was wondering if I can spend a bit more on a great track pump which can also be used on my forks? Is this even possible? Or will I destroy my forks? Reason I ask is shock pumps are like £20+ and I have almost justified spending £50 odd on a decent track pump! Ty in advance
    So you want to take a track pump on the trails with you?

Get a shock pump.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need a low volume high pressure pump for the forks and a high volume pump for the tyres.
    Buy a track pump and a shock pump.
    Decent Beto track pumps can be had for £20 easily (even a Joe Blow is around £30) plus £15 for a shock pump.
    Plus get a mini pump for the trail.
    £50 for all three.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattzzzzzz
    mattzzzzzz Posts: 32
    Giant do a dual pump for shock and tyres,about 25 quid plus get a track pump for the garage mine was 15 quid from Halfords
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    I got one of the trackpumps from Aldi. I think it was a fiver, works faultlessly, guage is accurate. what more can a £50 track pump do that this cant??
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • sloppycowpat
    sloppycowpat Posts: 349
    look good be made of metal, last 5 years :D :P

nah +1 for the joe blow i have had one for 5 years and it has been fault less

shock pumps and tyre pumps are not really compatible

shock pump for a tyre would take a month of sundays to get to 20 psi, and i severely doubt that injecting a full track pump full of air at high psi will do a shock any favors

plus you would need an adapter for the track pump anyway to fit the fork valve
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've got a Bonty track pump, paid £20 for it in the LBS and it does the job just fine. Shock pump can be had for another £20, and £20ish for a decent trail pump and you're sorted. You can't use a tyre pump for a shock/forks and vice versa (or you could, but it would take a LONG time!)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    All decent shock pumps have a setup so that when detaching from the valve, there is zero loss from the shock, as the Schrader's pin is released (valve seated, shock sealed) before the pressure in the pipe is vented to atmosphere.

There is no such mechanism on any other non-shock pump that I know of.

The point is, the slightest "phut" from the shock or fork means a drop of 10-30 psi, which, when it is important to pump up to the nearest 5 psi, means that it is really mission impossible to use any other pump.

Of course I am referring to low pressure forks, where theoretically it is possible to use any pump to fill, for rear shocks, how can you get up to 200, 250 psi with a track pump?
    Giant Reign X1
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    steelie600 wrote:
    I got one of the trackpumps from Aldi.
    Mine broke on about the 4th use. Very poor quality materials.
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    I have got a Specialized dual shock and tyre pump.

It's a great shock pump, just as easy to use as the rockshox one I have. But is a rubbish tyre pump. I take it out on rides as a backup pump as I use CO2 so it's not that critical how easy it is to use as it will get me home.

I've got a track pump too that I use in the garage.