Gear Cables and Inner

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm getting new cables and was wondering if there will be a large enough benefit on being tight and not getting the outer with it too? Instead just use my current outer. Is this a good idea or just get new outer too?

Also is running shimano gear cables with SRAM shifters/rear mech ok or should i get SRAM gear cable for SRAM rear mech & shifters?
thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Any inner cable as long as it's stainless. Made by Clarks, Shimano, SRAM ect all good.

On the outer just get some SP41 off the roll and do it all at once if it's not been done in a while. It's about £2 per 1m and depending on your frame you'll need less than 2m.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Any inner cable as long as it's stainless. Made by Clarks, Shimano, SRAM ect all good.

On the outer just get some SP41 off the roll and do it all at once if it's not been done in a while. It's about £2 per 1m and depending on your frame you'll need less than 2m.
    + one.

But if you are being tight and not changing the outlets go for 1.1mm inner rather than the standard 1.2mm
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Thank you guys!!
    Much appreciated.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    IMHO it's the outers (the lining) that wear not the inners, so replacing just the inners unless the outers have just been done, is not very smart, unless you need to replace the inners alone for some reason.

For SRAM you can use any cables as the shifting is very tolerant, for Shimano nothing except Shimano outers seems to work well, if you are picky like me.
    Giant Reign X1