A this a good time for a century?

CyclingObsession
CyclingObsession Posts: 314
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys I'm new to road biking been doing it a year now, I used to be obese and now I am at my ideal
Weight for cycling, I have gotten really serious the last 3 months, I completed my first century of 101.5 miles, it was a solo century and I did it in 5hrs:32mins is this a good time? I had a tail wind and were a good few hills but nothing too serious

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Good compared to what or who?
    More problems but still living....
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Anything under 6 hours is good in my book. That's a good time, unless it was all d/hill with a tailwind.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    I'm not sure whether it's a good time or not, but it doesn't really matter does it. What is important is that you did it, you didn't die doing it, you probably enjoyed the ride and you probably feel great for doing it. Well done, its a hell of an achievement by most peoples standards.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    p9uma wrote:
    I'm not sure whether it's a good time or not, but it doesn't really matter does it. What is important is that you did it, you didn't die doing it, you probably enjoyed the ride and you probably feel great for doing it. Well done, its a hell of an achievement by most peoples standards.

Like wot he said!

You now have a benchmark, go out and try and improve on it if that is your desire.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    If you were obese and you have now managed 100 miles then well done anyway. The time you mentioned is very good as far I am concerned and so was your average speed at about 18 mph.

I'm doing 100 on Sunday and I'll be very pleased (amazed) to get your time. I reckon I will more like 7 hours for me.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    That's an average speed of 18.3mph, and you're asking in 'road beginners' if that's a good time for a century?! Of course it's a good time, but really, who cares? So long as you enjoyed it. Good work.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I did a century today, 8 hours start to finish. 15 mph moving average. Abergavenny, Gospel Pass, Hay On Wye, Brecon, Tal-y-bont, Crickhowell, Usk, Home again. Pleased as punch. Your time? Well done.

I'm in training for the Dragon Ride - I'm pleased my legs never really felt tired, another 40 on top of that should be doable as long as the broom wagon doesn't fetch me up.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    That's an average speed of 18.3mph, and you're asking in 'road beginners' if that's a good time for a century?! Of course it's a good time, but really, who cares? So long as you enjoyed it. Good work.
    +1
    I'm doing my first century (proper one like yours, not this metric stuff) on 15 July and I would love to get anywhere near your time, especially solo!
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i would probably average somewhere near 5 mph less than you so i would be very pleased indeed!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • How long have you guys been cycling for? I don't agree with metric century a century is the equivilant to a marathon apparently
  • p9uma
    How long have you guys been cycling for? I don't agree with metric century a century is the equivilant to a marathon apparently

I've been cycling since I was seven, I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic but it's a fact. It is also a fact that a century is a 100, metric, imperial or otherwise regardless of whether you agree with it or not.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    How long have you guys been cycling for? I don't agree with metric century a century is the equivilant to a marathon apparently

Sorry to disappoint you but it's nowhere near a marathon. Recent thread on this was on here and the general opinion was that a century ride might match a half marathon. I can ride 100miles for several days in a row without too much problem but I'd struggle to do a half marathon let alone a full one.

To the OP, well done for doing a century, big milestone in your cycling career and a good average for a casual rider. Although to put it in perspective a local 100TT nearby was done on a hilly course with a blowy wind in 3h 57m recently!
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    p9uma wrote:

I've been cycling since I was seven, I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic but it's a fact. It is also a fact that a century is a 100, metric, imperial or otherwise regardless of whether you agree with it or not.

You may have been cycling since you were seven but it appears that you may not have run many marathons. It is not FACT at all but merely an opinion that a 100 mile ride is equivalent to a marathon. Having done a number of both, in reasonable times too, it's bullshite to say that the ride is equivalent - see previous thread on the subject.
  • p9uma
    nochekmate wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

You may have been cycling since you were seven but it appears that you may not have run many marathons. It is not FACT at all but merely an opinion that a 100 mile ride is equivalent to a marathon. Having done a number of both, in reasonable times too, it's bullshite to say that the ride is equivalent - see previous thread on the subject.

My comments refer to the op's remark that he does not agree with the notion that a 100 is a century regardless of the unit of measurement, not that a century is a equivalent to a marathon, to which I bow to your superior knowledge. The confusion I think lies in the ambiguity of the original statement.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    If you need to compare, check with some of the pro tour times. You can get a pretty good idea if you pick a stage with similar attributes to the ride you did. However, the speed you quote is bloody good, particularly solo.

Have you clocked yourself regularly? If so, are you seeing improvement in your times? I ask because I think that unless you're racing then the only reason to measure yourself is to enjoy the satisfaction of getting better at something. Me, I'd rather do 60 miles with a nice break in the middle, with a bunch of mates.
    Someone's just passed me again