Fox 36 VAN R 160 oil

konadawg
konadawg Posts: 447
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Servicing fork - to replace crappy Fox seals, that let in sandy mud that wrecked the uppers (but that's how they are staying) given one week in muddy Morzine.

Anyway.

I'm not opening up the damper cartridge, this was done in Morzine last year when it failed on the first run of the first day, so it can stay sealed.

The spring side should take 30cc of oil.

Fox only states 155 or 180 for the damper side, but since no-where near that amount came out of the fork I am assuming that this includes the volume in the damper.

Can anyone confirm, and if so, would (say) 30 in the damper side i.e. on the outside of the cartridge just sloshing around to keep the seals wet, be reasonable?

I'm assuming here that the damper cartridge is actually sealed and that the oil in and out won't mix, otherwise I need to chuck that out too - this as well, please? :)
Giant Reign X1

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    What damper? You say it is rebound only. I doubt there's 155cc of oil in the rebound damper. But in terms of lubrication oil 30cc seems a lot.
  • konadawg
    Boggo "R" damper. The figures are off Fox http://service.foxracingshox.com/consum ... olumes.htm and it could even be 180cc.

So are you saying that 30cc will be plenty just for sloshing about?
    Giant Reign X1
  • bennett_346
    I think you're confusing yourself here. Do you mean splash oil in the lowers or in the uppers? 155cc in the open bath in the upper leg, then whatever fox reccomends in the lowers, i'd guess around 15cc max. I'm not too hot on fox stuff.
  • konadawg
    I think you're confusing yourself here. Do you mean splash oil in the lowers or in the uppers? 155cc in the open bath in the upper leg, then whatever fox reccomends in the lowers, i'd guess around 15cc max. I'm not too hot on fox stuff.

Dunno mate but I can't see how you could put oil in the "uppers" and not the "lowers" unless they're separated like they are right now :lol::lol:

Either way it's really not so important, in goes 30cc of 7.5w "what I have available, or will concoct".

I've put away the angle grinder now after removing the wear marks on the stanchions, so can proceed... :)
    Giant Reign X1
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    if you undo the damper side from the top, it isn't a sealed system, so the oil will just drain out (bit like rockshox motion control damper). if it's just for putting the lowers on, fox have charts for it all on their own tech docs website :)
  • konadawg
    if you undo the damper side from the top, it isn't a sealed system, so the oil will just drain out (bit like rockshox motion control damper). if it's just for putting the lowers on, fox have charts for it all on their own tech docs website :)

Thanks, but the damper seemed sealed, no oil came out of it. Well, maybe I misunderstood what you are trying to say - I lifted the damper cap 'n all - did not attempt to detach it from the cap.

That done it really did not seem all that important how much or what sort of oil goes into the void between the damper and the uppers/lowers (no contact anyway) or on the other leg, between the spring and the uppers/lowers (partial contact between spring and uppers) - so I just went with 30cc in both.

On the damper side the only point of the oil, it would seem, would be to keep the stanchion seal lubed.

Truth be told, with the Enduro seals kit, this oil seems to be even more redundant as one can pack lube between the proper oil seal in the kit (which the original Fox kit lacks) and the dust cover/wiper.

But no harm is done anyway, and with large patches lacking anodising due to the damage, it's a Tesco moment - "every little helps".
    Giant Reign X1
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    The volumes depend on exactly which model you have - if they have the FIT cartridge, then you're looking at 30ml in each leg to keep the seals, but more importantly the bushings lubtricated. If you haven't got a damper cartridge, then you need the higher volume of oil on the damper side to do the damping as well as lubing as it's an open bath system.

As for the Enduro Seals kit, good as they are at sealing crap out, you still need to keep the bushings lubed to avoid excessive stanchion wear...
  • bennett_346
    You should of put the amount Fox say to put in in it. So way more than you did.
  • konadawg
    What damper? You say it is rebound only. I doubt there's 155cc of oil in the rebound damper. But in terms of lubrication oil 30cc seems a lot.
    You should have put the amount Fox say to put in in it. So way more than you did.

Which will it be?
    I'm not too hot on fox stuff.

Do you mean splash oil in the lowers or in the uppers? 155cc in the open bath in the upper leg, then whatever fox reccomends in the lowers, i'd guess around 15cc max.
    konadawg wrote:
    Dunno mate but I can't see how you could put oil in the "uppers" and not the "lowers" unless they're separated like they are right now
    I'm not too hot on fox stuff.

:mrgreen:
    Giant Reign X1
  • bennett_346
    Some of those were from before i realised it was open bath. Either way open bath dampers are a mystery to me. I've only ever seen rockshox dampers which seperate the upper tubes and lower legs with seals so you can put oil in the uppers and not the lowers even if they aren't seperated like they were...