Specialized Crux Elite

v40amb
v40amb Posts: 10
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Can you change specialized crux elite tyres to road ones?

Tom

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Don't see why not, assuming you want to use road tyres on the road! Quite a few folks ride cross bikes on the road as they make good all rounders. You just need to be careful about tyre size but there is some degree of flex there. Sheldon gives some guidance:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Hence, just find out the size of your rims and see what tyres you can fit. Think how much you want to spend, what you want from your tyres (pure speed? lightweight? Puncture resistance? ) and then use the search tool in the Road Buyers section to see what other folks have used. Some Gatorskins would probably be a good match but that would be a shot in the dark at the mo.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Don't see why not, assuming you want to use road tyres on the road! Quite a few folks ride cross bikes on the road as they make good all rounders. You just need to be careful about tyre size but there is some degree of flex there. Sheldon gives some guidance:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Hence, just find out the size of your rims and see what tyres you can fit. Think how much you want to spend, what you want from your tyres (pure speed? lightweight? Puncture resistance? ) and then use the search tool in the Road Buyers section to see what other folks have used. Some Gatorskins would probably be a good match but that would be a shot in the dark at the mo.

This is true but the Crux is a race bike with no compromises for road use like mudguard and rack mounts, so if you are going cross racing it's a good choice but I'd suggest there are better alternatives for mainly road use if that's your intention?
  • v40amb
    v40amb Posts: 10
    Thanks for your guidance.

I would be using it on the road mainly to be honest
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    v40amb wrote:
    Thanks for your guidance.

I would be using it on the road mainly to be honest

Ok, for that budget and if you're after a cross bike the Boardman CX Team is the benchmark.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... m-11-45403

I have to declare a bias as I've just bought one, and kitted it out for road use (tyres and mudguards) and it's a great ride. Totally recommended as a Winter Trainer/Commute bike.
    Even has it's own dedicated thread on BR running to 22 pages

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12796558 - the dry bearing issue is now buried, mine is fine.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hang on a mo, what is the actual question here? I thought it was "can I use some road tyres on a Crux" but the thread seems to be going down to "what cross bike should I buy" . I'm not bothered either way, TBH :)
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Hang on a mo, what is the actual question here? I thought it was "can I use some road tyres on a Crux" but the thread seems to be going down to "what cross bike should I buy" . I'm not bothered either way, TBH :)

Yeah, probably got a bit ahead of myself :)