Rockshox Reba RL Losing Negative Pressure

Jimx26
Jimx26 Posts: 147
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

The fork on my 3 week old Boardman keeps losing pressure in the negative chamber. I first noticed it when I checked last week before a ride and there was no pressure at all. I emptied the positive and pumped up to the correct psi then did the same with the neg, i checked it almost immediatly afterwards and is was almost empty again. Positive has been fine.
I have empty and filled a couple of times and it is still not holding. Is there anything else I can try or is it a return to Halfords job?
Really peed off with this now after the first bike having a dented frame and this one having crap welding on the triangle and now this :cry:

Comments

• Jimx26
    Cheers, my thinking as well just didnt know if there was anything I was missing.

I may as well move into Halfords the amount of time I have spent in there recently :?
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Are you sure it's leaking air and it's not just your shock gauge reading a lower pressure when you're checking? I've only just got a set of Dual Air forks myself but I believe the shock gauge will always show less psi than you originally pumped in when you reconnect the pump. Air from the chamber fills the pump when you connect it which in turn reduces your reading.

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are you sure you are not losing it to the pump? The negative chamber is much smaller than the positive - and when you connect a shock pump, air must leave the chamber into the pump. Hence why the initial reading is lower. When you disconnect the pressure will stay at the reading on the pump - the hiss is air now escaping from the pump.

If the feel of the fork and sag are not changing then my bet is that it is fine.
  • Jimx26
    Thanks for the replies, I will check the sag onight but a couple of times I have reconnected the pump the gauge has shown as zero almost immediatly after pumping it up.
    Also when I am riding and push down on the shocks or lift up to go over a bump it makes tssshh type noise when coming back up but I am assuming this is normal for air shocks as my friends does the same?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My pump does the same - as soon as I connect, it reads 0 as all the air as left into the pump.

The noises are the damping cicrcuits, totally normal.
  • Jimx26
    Thanks, probably worrying over nothing then will get my mate to have a look tomorrow as I'm still learning and he knows more about it than me.
    Just being a bit anal after the initial problems.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Mine had a scratch in the lower stanchion somehow