Kraken rim replacements

muran
muran Posts: 105
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I REALLY don't like the white rims on my Kraken so was wondering what will be the cheapest means of replacing them with black ones?

I know the Kraken rims are said to be heavy but they seem fine to me so like for like at the cheapest price point is what I'm looking for.

Any ideas?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Replacing just the rims will probably require new spokes too, and a wheel rebuild isn't particularly quick or cheap. You may be better off buying new wheels. Check out Superstar's offerings.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • muran
    Sorry, I meant new wheels ... thinking about it though I am guessing that will be expensive!
  • bails87
    Ah right.

Define 'expensive'..... :wink:
    £130: http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=536
    MTB/CX

• muran
    Thanks, I guess they are cheap by some standards but the bike only cost me £150 so maybe I should just run with the white!

Thanks for the link though, gives me some idea.
  • bails87
    £95 for a pair: http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... -sale.html

My cousin has got a Kraken, I seem to remember the wheels were pretty heavy, changing to a lighter set would make a real difference to how the bike feels.
    MTB/CX

• muran
    bails87 wrote:
    £95 for a pair: http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... -sale.html

My cousin has got a Kraken, I seem to remember the wheels were pretty heavy, changing to a lighter set would make a real difference to how the bike feels.

Thanks, to be honest it's more to get rid of the imbalance and the colour rather than the weight. They feel pretty light to me as wheels go but then I don't have anything to compare them against and I don't ride competitively so weight not so much an issue.
    leaflite wrote:

They look quite nice and from reading the forum they seem a popular choice too.

Thanks for all info everyone.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Buy these................. :wink:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40050&t=12854523

Sell your old ones.Cheap upgrade! :)
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • muran
    Yeh they look pretty sweet but tbh I think even though I'm not at all keen on he white ones I have I'll probably stick with them. Seems silly to drop £100 just on looks alone.

That's my thinking now and but that can (and probably will( change!
  • muran
    They come with the freehub fitted and working perfectly, right?

Tempting I have to say! Wouldn't need the tyres though as I have just bought the Mountain kings.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Yep,with freehub,hubs regreased and good spoke tension.

Also have a similar pair of Shimano SLX,317 rims for sale too,that I`ve just added to the classifieds.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • muran
    Thanks, had a look. To be honest mate, a wheel is a wheel to me and all I know is that I don't like the colour of mine! I know reasons for changing run a lot deeper than that in most cases and of course I appreciate that Shimano being a good make would more than likely be a worthy upgrade to my stock wheel-set. Whether I would note any advantage though is debatable!

Are these the lowest prices you are able / prepared to do on both the advertised rims?

Cheers.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Carrera DDM wheelsets come in at just on 2Kg/pair, not amazingly light but not really that heavy. If it's just the colour why not keep a lookout on ebay for some wheels local to you (no P&P) that are similar quality and then sell your's on, it will only cost you a handful of pounds to do that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    The Carrera DDM wheelsets come in at just on 2Kg/pair, .
    Ah, that's not bad actually. Maybe it was the weight of the tyres as well that made them feel like lumps!
    MTB/CX

• muran
    The Carrera DDM wheelsets come in at just on 2Kg/pair, not amazingly light but not really that heavy. If it's just the colour why not keep a lookout on ebay for some wheels local to you (no P&P) that are similar quality and then sell your's on, it will only cost you a handful of pounds to do that.

Thanks, good point. I'm not entirely sure what to look for though and don't I run the risk of buying a damaged set that way? Can't really tell until they are fitted can you?
  • muran
    yeh I did consider that but didn't really want to go down that route to be honest. Messy and I am all for ease :-)
  • The Rookie
    bails87 wrote:
    The Carrera DDM wheelsets come in at just on 2Kg/pair, .
    Ah, that's not bad actually. Maybe it was the weight of the tyres as well that made them feel like lumps!
    The CST tyres (as fitted to some Carrera) I took off a bike did weigh 750g each and have tubes weighing just over 200g, so yes, probably why they felt heavy!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    The ones I weighed (off a 2008 kraken, apparently the ones on the 2009 were lighter) were closer to 2.5 kg. The wire bead kenda tyres were around 1kg each! I was shocked how heavy you could make a 2.1 inch tyre. The sidewalls were bombproof though.
  • The Rookie
    Strange as the DDM's I had were off a 2007 Banshee!