Gluten free.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Anyone gone gluten free? How do you feel? Was it easy?

I am considering it......pros and cons please!

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Probably quite easy in the UK as you can easily buy gluten free pasta, bread, biscuits, cakes etc.

If you make all of this yourself anyway it is just a case of swapping to gluten free flour.

If you don't have a 'good' diet to start with going gluten free can cause a lack of folate, iron, fiber, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin or calcium, so make sure you eat a balanced diet, lots of green veg etc

Not tried it myself, but anything that makes you think about what you eat and try to get the best diet possible has to be a good thing.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mate is a celiac and whilst going gluten free is easier you still miss a lot. At home is fine as you can prepare but being our and about is a nightmare as there is so little you can reliably eat.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Nicholls2k
    Nicholls2k Posts: 51
    It's not as easy as the above have suggested!

There is gluten in stock cubes/soy sauce bread/pasta etc.

Making bread without gluten is hard! I have tried making gluten free pizza bases and they came out like biscuits.
    Gluten free cakes are possible but in fruit cakes the fruit sinks to the bottom :(

Gluten free food is available in supermarkets but at £3 for a loaf of bread it is also very expensive!
    Gluten free pasta tastes funny
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    are you intolerant/celiac? If not - don't. If you are then it will bring many health benefits to you as your body won't have to fight your stomach contents so much.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Become a celiac and get gluten free food on prescription.

However if it is a lifestyle choice it will be an expensive one if you like your flour based food. As asprilla says eating out is a nightmare. I'm going out with my father in-law on Sunday for dinner, to the only place he feels safe (Toby Carvery - no Yorkshires for him and he doesn't have gravy).
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Why go gluten free out of interest?
    If you suspect coeliacs then you need to do 100% gluten free, otherwise no point
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I am friendly with a couple people who went gluten free out of choice.

They no longer get invited to anything involving food by me or any of my friends.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    And that will be the last pint of decent beer you get to drink too....
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.