Cube upgraded wheels

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited August 2013 in Your road bikes
Here is my Cube Peloton Race. I have upgraded the wheel package. The original wheels were Easton EA30 aero but after 2 broken spokes and the allure of a chainreactioncycles voucher I thought it prudent to upgrade the wheels.

I was after a reasonably light pair of wheels that would be good for all disciplines so in the end I went for some Ultegra 6700 wheels. They are pretty understated but are 1650g and are tubeless ready. They roll really smoothly and have knocked 1/2 pound of rotational weight.

Total bike weight is no 8.25kg so not bad

WP_000091.jpg
WP_000093.jpg

What's even better is that Chain Reaction gave me black instead of the silver I ordered so with a few emails I agreed to keep the black option and they offered me a £40 gift voucher in way of compensation add this to the £120 I got on gumtree for my old wheels it means that the new wheels only cost me £60!

Comments

• mr_eddy
    I should mention I only have the Blizzard Sport tyres on as my usual Ultremo ZX HD are at home, both are worn and I am awaiting a replacement set so will be back on the Ultremo's in the next day or two.
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    Nice bike, I'm considering that model at the minute. What's it like?
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    y33stu wrote:
    Nice bike, I'm considering that model at the minute. What's it like?

Awesome bike, I picked up the compact version (think this is the same model?). Setup is spot on, ride and handling are exceptional and it looks great - always gets commented on. I can't bring myself to change the bar tape yet, going to stick it out with white, maybe switch to red... see how dirty it gets :-)
  • gumball75
    gumball75 Posts: 5
    +1
    totally agree, have mine two months and agree with all of above, even the white bar tape......pleased with my choice
  • mr_eddy
    Mine has been great, really comfy ride easily handles big rides and is light and agile enough for sprints too. Pictures don't do the finish justice it looks awesome in the flesh, colours are not too unlike the top of the range lightning series
  • mr_eddy
    New ultegra wheels are great too, can't believe how well they hold speed very impressed indeed.
  • king_jeffers
    mr_eddy wrote:
    Here is my Cube Peloton Race. I have upgraded the wheel package. The original wheels were Easton EA30 aero but after 2 broken spokes and the allure of a chainreactioncycles voucher I thought it prudent to upgrade the wheels.

Resurrecting an old one here... I have the same bike and I'm having the same problem with the wheels - spokes are coming loose. Just dropped it into my LBS on the weekend who basically said the wheels are a really poor build quality - built to look good and thats about it. I've found a few folks with the same issue/same bike - just wondered if you contacted Cube directly about this? I've just emailed them and the place I ordered the bike through - just waiting for a reply... Hoping they can do something really don't want to fork out for a new wheel set on such a new bike :(
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    mr_eddy wrote:
    New ultegra wheels are great too, can't believe how well they hold speed very impressed indeed.
    I take it they're quite heavy then?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • gumball75
    gumball75 Posts: 5
    mr_eddy wrote:

Resurrecting an old one here... I have the same bike and I'm having the same problem with the wheels - spokes are coming loose. Just dropped it into my LBS on the weekend who basically said the wheels are a really poor build quality - built to look good and thats about it. I've found a few folks with the same issue/same bike - just wondered if you contacted Cube directly about this? I've just emailed them and the place I ordered the bike through - just waiting for a reply... Hoping they can do something really don't want to fork out for a new wheel set on such a new bike :(

having the same problem with my bike too - will be interested to hear the response from Cube, will you be posting response?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    oh yes...
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    mr_eddy wrote:

Good luck...cube don't respond to emails ever. Better going through the seller.

I upgraded the wheels on my 2011 Agree to Fulcrum 1's which were awesome...then I got some mavic cosmic SL's :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/16fiznkcgdcndfz/IMAG0023.jpg
  • Does anyone know if this is a common problem with the Easton ea30's? I am looking at the agree gtc which has the same wheels. Could put me off or at least have me saving up for an upgrade. Cheers.
  • taimur
    taimur Posts: 173
    Here is my experience which may be useful to some of you.
    last year I bought CUBE Agree SL 2010 which is thier highest spec Aluminum bike. It was 2010 version that i bought on sale in Jan 2011 from CRC. Up to 2010 CUBE was shipping bikes with Easton VISTA SLs which seem to have later evolved in to EA30s. The first 6 months were great but the next 4 months were horrible. I got a broken spoke almost every ride and then eventually reached a point where some spokes snapped while the bike was parked on a stand.

Wrote to CRC they wanted me to bring them in - not an option since i bought the bike and carried it in baggage to another part of the globe.

Wrote to CUBE, they asked me to contact dealer.

Eventually wrote to Easton and cried my heart out about the horrible experience. Since Easton operates in USA and i was in South East Asia, shipping would cost double of what the wheels worth.

So the very helpful rep at Easton came up with the a solution. He asked me to dismantle the hubs and mail to them and they would build them up again with new spokes and new rims. i sent it to them but then on my mate's recommendation i requested them to upgrade me to EA70s which are probably thier most reputed wheelsets in terms of overall stability durability weight etc. They agreed to ship me the 2012 EA 70s for a upgrade cost of $150.

Since then i am a vey happy camper the bike has been excellent. The wheels are very good and perform as good or better than much more expensive wheels as per thier reputation.

From above posts it seems that EA30 wheels have the same issues that my Vista SL wheels had.

hope helps.
    1996 Cannondale M500 CAAD3 (Hardtail MTB)
    2007 Cannondale F700 CAAD
    2010 Cube Agree SL (Road, retired)
    2011 Cube Litening Super HPC DI2 Frame, with Ultegra Di2 Components
  • king_jeffers
    No reply from Cube, thankfully the place I purchased the bike from (Tredz) are awesome... They addressed the issue right away and reported to Cube. Long of a short story is Cube are sending out another set of Easton EA30 wheels, hopefully this will fix the problem. Can't wait to get them and give them a blast - hopefully they fixed the problem, keeping the faith :D
  • NELLY2488
    NELLY2488 Posts: 25
    I have got the same problem, rear wheel spokes keep coming loose, wheels been trued 3 times now in 500 miles. Boardman Road Comp used all over winter and done 1000 mile and not missed a beat!!! Easton EA30 wheels seem to have had a Friday afternoon shift make them up. Asked lbs to approach Cube now.
  • wardieboy
    wardieboy Posts: 230
    Does anyone know if this is a common problem with the Easton ea30's? I am looking at the agree gtc which has the same wheels. Could put me off or at least have me saving up for an upgrade. Cheers.

I broke a spoke whilst climbing after only having the bike 3 months. Everything else has been fine, just the cheap wheels. I upgraded to some aksiums and have been happy ever since.
  • AD1
    AD1 Posts: 53
    I have a set of Easton EA50 that came on my cube agree I purchased in March 2012, I'm after having 5 spokes break on me. I weigh about 82KG which is not exceessive. Soon after the second one broke I purchased a set of Mavic Elites. I put these on on for the rest of the summer and switched back the eastons for winter use. I have completed about 6500km todate, half of this using the eastons.
    I have had no issues with the mavic elites and would highly recommend them. Stay clear of Easton EA50 unless you want to be replacing spokes every few weeks. What was really annoying is when I was doing about 45km per hour one of the spokes broke jamming in between the frame (seat back stay) and badly scratched the frame. All 5 spokes broke on the rear wheel. I think Easton should have recalled this wheel as other people also seem to have trouble with them.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I've done over 1000 miles on my Cube with EA50's and never had a problem, I'm 79KG so not exactly heavy.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    two Cube bikes with EA30's year and a half no problems with spokes, I weigh 55kgs and mrs T weighs under 50kgs which may be the weight that they are suitable for :shock:

Looks good with the black wheels.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • NELLY2488
    NELLY2488 Posts: 25
    I gave up with the EA30s and my LBS did me a deal on Fulcrum racing 3s for £220!!! Miles better and doing JOGLE in 5 days time on them 960 miles in 8 days
  • i bought a Cube Cross Race at the start of 2013 which has Easton EA50 wheels. I've had loads of problem with spokes in the rear wheel coming loose, although none has ever broken. I've put three spokes back in myself and twice had the LBS do it including recently a complete wheel detension and retension and it has just happened again! I wondered if it is due to my weight of nearly 100kg but the Easton website says that none of their wheels have rider weight limits so I guess it shouldn't matter.

I did learn some interesting stuff about how the rear wheel has different tensions on the drive side and non-drive side reading their page here, bullet point 20: http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-gb/road ... heel-faqs/