FaceAche

p9uma
p9uma Posts: 565
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
FaceAche shares on sale for 38$, company worth billions of pounds, making paper billionairs out of the founders.

For What?

Inventing a website application that no one needed, no one wanted, to stay in contact with folk no one likes, to write spiteful messages about someone that no one cares about, to read nothing very interesting about nothing very much and to look at photographs of peoples plates of food.

I wish I had thought of it.

However, it could all get fecked up if everyone deleted their accounts.

I have deleted my account. That'll teach the cocky bastids.
Trek Madone 3.5
Whyte Coniston
1970 Dawes Kingpin

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    p9uma wrote:
    FaceAche shares on sale for 38$, company worth billions of pounds, making paper billionairs out of the founders.

Plenty did to be honest. At the beginning there were dozens. Just conspired that facebook did it better than others.

Some people are sceptical of the $38 a share figure, saying it's more like high 20s, but you must be able to see why it's worth a lot?
  • p9uma
    p9uma wrote:

Plenty did to be honest. At the beginning there were dozens. Just conspired that facebook did it better than others.

Some people are sceptical of the $38 a share figure, saying it's more like high 20s, but you must be able to see why it's worth a lot?

Advertising, but I really don't get it. When I had an account I never looked at the advertising or clicked on it.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • rick_chasey
    p9uma wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

Advertising, but I really don't get it. When I had an account I never looked at the advertising or clicked on it.

They have quite a few more revenue streams than just advertising.

It's about the kind of advertising. People volunteer information there and interact with brands. More time is spent on facebook than any other website too. It's not just banners by the side of a profile page.

They also make money out of people buying or using apps on facebook, facebook analysis etc etc.

Facebook is also targeted advetising - not as targeted as google, but targeted nonetheless.

The valuation also obviously takes into account the future earnings. The thinking is that such a broad network, if utilised well, can make a lot of cash.

Overheards are also pretty low too, for such a 'big' firm.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I deleted mine too.

Insidious corporate control, hate it with a passion, but it was a bit odd me having a FaceAche account what me being so anti social an' all. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    From what I've read and can understand it seems that Facebook as a company is vastly over-valued. I can't remember the figures exactly but think I read it made $1 billion dollar profit last year from it's 900,000,000 million users, generating $5 per user .It seems to be valued more on what it might produce in terms of profits in the future than what it does now.

Perhaps Zuckerberg would like to donate some his vast wealth to the police to fund 'the Facebook car' - anything that doesn't need an immediate or prompt response gets an appointment made. A large number of these appointments are related to Facebook, people seem to think it's acceptable to sit in their bedroom and after a few drinks say things on Facebook they would never say to someone's face. the 'victim' then calls the police to say 'Shelley says she gonna hit me with a spade next time she sees me' and she takes these threats seriously and wants something done about it NOW!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    p9uma wrote:

You didnt need to - the fact that you were on a page that had advertising was enough - You were the commodity being sold. FB could go to potential advertisers with the information that users with your profile visit certain pages at certain times - not much fun being bought and sold is it?

I only found out recently too that FB collects data on what websites you visit that have a FB like button - you dont have to click the button you just have to land on a page with one on and your surfing info is collected. My FB account is all cobblers - i'm down as a black woman who works in stoke and is in her 30's....called Eric.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    team47b wrote:
    I deleted mine too.

Even though you have deleted it, go and login again, its still there. Your details never "delete" Facebook retains them, always. If you die, your facebook details stay live there unless someone knows your password and can "delete" the page. The reason FB is worth so much is that it is the most current and up to date marketing platform in the world. 800million users, 800 million sets of data, allowing advertisers to target you specifically. I can advertise my business to the most specific genre of people imaginable. No other platform lets you be so relevant. Not even Google. Yes google lets you advertise based on a search, but not on past likes and interactions, age, location, relationship status etc..
    And no, I never click on the ad's either, but many, many people do.

Facebook has become a necessity for many of us, want a spotify account? you need Facebook. Simples.

Ps. I'm not endorsing stalkerbook, I hardly use it, apart from to advertise on - I need a private account to be able to advertise. Its the ultimate monopoly.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • team47b
    Yeah I realised that it was actually impossible to delete an account they just 'hold' your details for your convenience should you decide to change your mind

- as if we have control over that!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    People buying the shares today are going to get burned.
    It is seriously overvalued.
    It has about ran it's course and will end up just another saga in the .com boom and bust.
    Mark Zukerburg is being smart by cashing in now.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • p9uma
    team47b wrote:
    Yeah I realised that it was actually impossible to delete an account they just 'hold' your details for your convenience should you decide to change your mind

Eckshooooally you can permanently delete your account and all the details are wiped, including photos etc., so if you do log in you have to register as a new user.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    p9uma wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Eckshooooally you can permanently delete your account and all the details are wiped, including photos etc., so if you do log in you have to register as a new user.

True.

I've seen the opposite spouted many times, but you can do an irreversible delete if you wish.
  • mbrundrett
    mbrundrett Posts: 7
    p9uma wrote:

... who works in stoke ....

and that is where your false identity trips up... :)
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    p9uma wrote:

You didnt need to - the fact that you were on a page that had advertising was enough - You were the commodity being sold. FB could go to potential advertisers with the information that users with your profile visit certain pages at certain times - not much fun being bought and sold is it?

I only found out recently too that FB collects data on what websites you visit that have a FB like button - you dont have to click the button you just have to land on a page with one on and your surfing info is collected. My FB account is all cobblers - i'm down as a black woman who works in stoke and is in her 30's....called Eric.

Eric is that you?

I deleted my bookface account for all the same reasons as discussed, I know a few guys who advise/are in IT security for a very large TV satellite broadcaster after discussing how much data could be collected on FB he advised everyone in the room to delete their accounts!

On the other hand I sometimes think "so what?" I'm pretty sure most of that info is already out there - Tesco clubcards - Amazon - Ebay etc I am not aware of anyone suffering from "over marketed to" syndrome.
  • p9uma
    My main objection to FaceAche is not the big corporate machine that is collecting data. It's the puerile, inane, vacuous and sometimes vile and libellous rubbish that people type on it.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    p9uma wrote:
    My main objection to FaceAche is not the big corporate machine that is collecting data. It's the puerile, inane, vacuous and sometimes vile and libellous rubbish that people type on it.

Like on here! :wink:
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    p9uma wrote:

free-product.jpg?w=480
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    Anyone going to take a spreadbet on the end of play price?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    just as an interesting aside about id theft and FB and twitter etc - my bro in law works for the police and he said they had a session on ID theft. New recruits were invited in for a talk and before hand they were told to fill in a form with any questions they wanted asking and also their FB names etc so the speaker could gauge how well up the class were on social media.

On the day of the lecture the speaker had them all stand up and began by saying, for example, all of those who who went on holiday to Spain last year sit down, all those married sit down etc - eventually leaving one - the speaker turned and said to him, welcome to the session on internet security John Smith* - you realise if I was a criminal I would know where you live, where you're children go to school, what car you drive - and all of this because you allowed me as a friend onto your FB page.

Apparently a few on the course were so miffed they complained about it being harassment - the chief super replied that they should be grateful for being made aware of the dangers out there and that they should grow a pair.

*this is obviously a false name - his real name was Lionel, Lionel Joseph - Director of Cultural Activities at the Haile Selassie Pavilion.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • p9uma
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

Like on here! :wink:

Harsh, but a fair point.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    all this stuff about click advertising is only half the story, they sell data services as well which basically analyses the data that they have and gives out info on, say, how many people under 40 like in stoke that like 'The Wire' and next thing you know the residents of stoke start seeing cheap billboard ads for the box set

I'm going to come off it myself..... Dodgy, how do you do a permanent delete ?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • p9uma
    edhornby wrote:
    all this stuff about click advertising is only half the story, they sell data services as well which basically analyses the data that they have and gives out info on, say, how many people under 40 like in stoke that like 'The Wire' and next thing you know the residents of stoke start seeing cheap billboard ads for the box set

I'm going to come off it myself..... Dodgy, how do you do a permanent delete ?

Google it all the instruction are there or type in "permanently delete my account" in the FB search window and follow the instructions. It takes 14 days, so do not be tempted to log in again otherwise it won't delete the account.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • rick_chasey
    Well the float's about to happen. NASDAQ keep f*cking up and delaying the launch but it'll happen within the next few minutes.

Probably outsourcing to BATS.

Anyway, WSJ is reporting that early prices might be as high as $42, in which case the FBers will be annoyed they settled for $38.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    i'm down as a black woman who works in stoke and is in her 30's....called Eric.
    I've 'ad 'er. :shock:

FB shares are worth £38 a pop because that's what the market has been judged to be able to stand. Reckon there'll be a few making a bit of a killing buying at 38 & flogging them not many hours later at 43 or whatever before they float down to something more realistic, like mid-20s, but 38 is the price because 38 is what the market thinks they'll stand.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    CiB wrote:
    FB shares are worth £38 a pop because that's what the market has been judged to be able to stand. Reckon there'll be a few making a bit of a killing buying at 38 & flogging them not many hours later at 43 or whatever before they float down to something more realistic, like mid-20s, but 38 is the price because 38 is what the market thinks they'll stand.

On a technicality, yes, you're right.

But you can't take a market at face value. Look at it's composition - a dearth of sound reasoning, a multitude of excitement and hype in this case.

Markets aren't always right. There's ample proof of that - in contrast to the shaky science that gave life to such theories of (almost) absolute market efficiency.

Facebook has jumped on the treadmill now, and it's going at pretty much top speed. They'll have to work very hard to keep up. It will be interesting.
  • team47b
    p9uma wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Eckshooooally (liked it so much I have now stolen your ID) having to log in as a new member is no indication that they have wiped your details, I deleted my account but still get contacted by them and they still hold my details on file and contact me regularly and I have unsubscribed too.

But anyway isn't this FB with a side order of bike?

I had chilli on baked sweet potato for my lunch...
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Bono hasn't done to bad out of it appearently.

Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to buy a shedful of shares and sell them a few hours later for a massive profit as I'm to busy reducing the countries deficit.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    I've never had a face ache account despite being told by all of my friends that I should have one when it became popular "cos it's great for keeping in touch with everyone" my response was always "but surely we are keeping in touch by taking face to face now"

I find it really amusing that all of the same friends are now ditching their accounts for all of the reasons listed above
  • team47b
    pauldavid wrote:
    I've never had a face ache account despite being told by all of my friends that I should have one when it became popular "cos it's great for keeping in touch with everyone" my response was always "but surely we are keeping in touch by taking face to face now"

I find it really amusing that all of the same friends are now ditching their accounts for all of the reasons listed above

Well done for resisting, wish I had never succumbed to the pressure by friends to 'keep in touch' - you know where I am, come see me or STFU :D
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    But you can't take a market at face value. Look at it's composition - a dearth of sound reasoning, a multitude of excitement and hype in this case. Markets aren't always right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18141990

Thank you. That is all. :lol: