Forks are farked??

gaff_taff
gaff_taff Posts: 346
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening

Right bare with me now, about a month ago i bought a set of forks off someone on here, he had recently serviced them and put in the softer spring for me, i have never had them on my bike as it's in bits waiting for paint, when they first turned up the travel seemed fine when i leant on them, sounded a bit squelchy but just thought that was the oil and that was normal, just now i leant on them again and now they have about 25mm of travel before it feels like i hit a brick wall and they won't compress anymore, they also won't turn all the way down the 85mm of travel they go to like they use to,

The forks are RockShox Recon 351 U-turn, coil forks with poplock, no idea on year, guessing around 08-09

(EDIT)*** Lockout does not work now either, google is telling me oil has leaked into the lowers, is this true?

Can anyone help? i can't take them apart cause i know i won't get them back together again :lol:

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Sounds likely that it is true. And you can absolutely take them apart, it's easy and self intuitive. Either that or pay £75 for someone else to...
  • gaff_taff
    once you take the lowers off is there loads to remove after that? or is it a couple of steps and done?
  • bennett_346
    couple of steps and done. all in all 30 minutes work depending on how nifty you are with a syringe
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Not a big deal to do, but I would advise new seals/o-rings, or it will happen again.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • gaff_taff
    Just looking at sram's user manual, which bit need's serivicing? is it the damper that needs doing?
  • bennett_346
    yeah. look for their videos on youtube, sramtech. very good for following along to
  • 386ka
    Yes, the damper and the rebound adjustment I guess... I think that when you open them, you will find a broken o-ring that had been leaking.
  • gaff_taff
    just watched the video's, when i first watched it i had a bit of squeeky bum time cause it looked hard, just watched it again and it doesn't look too hard. Only pain in the arse is that there pop loc which adds a bit more faffing about, i will be annoyed if there is a broken o-ring, as they haven't been ridden since the original owner serviced them

Just wish i had someone with me that knew what they were doing if i mess up
  • 386ka
    gaff_taff wrote:
    just watched the video's, when i first watched it i had a bit of squeeky bum time cause it looked hard, just watched it again and it doesn't look too hard. Only pain in the ars* is that there pop loc which adds a bit more faffing about, i will be annoyed if there is a broken o-ring, as they haven't been ridden since the original owner serviced them

Just wish i had someone with me that knew what they were doing if i mess up
    Well, take your time, and, obviously, get enough shock oil for the service.. :)
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Just serviced my revs.

The poploc is easy to remove(you probably just need a small allen key), but you will have to fit a new crimp end on reassembly. You will need a 24mm(iirc) socket to take the damper out.
    It is much easier to do this kind of job with a workstand, but you could just balance the forks on a chair back or similar, or use a vice if you have one. If you dont, you will probably need an extra pair of hands to assist.

For mine, i needed 5 and 15wt fluid. I also used a bit of stendec easy glide on the seals. I found it fairly easy and my forks now work like new :D
    I would reccomend that you do this outside/in a garage as the fluid made my kitchen stink for about a week afterwards :oops:
  • gaff_taff
    A quick question about the pop loc, can it be taken off an not used? as with pop loc there is no middle ground, either there locked or there not, i would like a bit more compression adjust, i'm assuming it cant be done
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    gaff_taff wrote:
    A quick question about the pop loc, can it be taken off an not used? as with pop loc there is no middle ground, either there locked or there not, i would like a bit more compression adjust, i'm assuming it cant be done

You can probably replace it with a crown adjuster, but you will need to remove the return spring from the damper and get a new dial and stuff from tf tuned.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Before you do anything, how were they stored for the last few weeks? Just lying flat on the ground, if so, you may need to leave them upright for a short while to let the oil get back to the right places - my Pikes sometimes used to do that if I left the bike upside down for a while...

Obviously if it's a proper leak and a seals gone then it won't help for long.

As for the poploc, there's an FAQ about removing the return spring - then it's just a £28 decision whether to put a crown top adjuster on or use the original poploc adjust (without the spring).

If it were me, I'd give TF Tuned a call before getting stuck in if you're not too sure.
  • gaff_taff
    Cheers for clearing that up lads, will probaly just leave it then,

And horton they have been sat in my room leaning upright against my wall since i got them so i reckon it is deffinately the seal