Applecross and Bealach na Ba

mabarbie
mabarbie Posts: 64
Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes. I'm up near Applecross in a fortnights time and was going to do a loop round the Bealach na Ba as part of my training for the Raid Pyreneen in July. I was looking at some maps and there seems to be a road going near Loch Coulin, starting from Achnashellach and endin up near Loch Clair. My question is, is it ridable on a racer?

Are there other roads that go over any other peaks around the area?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Up at Applecross there's a loop round the Penisula including the Bealach 2000ft in 6 miles. If you go from the bottom of the Bealach straight up to Sheildeag, it's one of the most scenic area's I've seen. Don't know about racing these roads though but you're racer should be ok..
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I think you mean the Coulin Pass. I haven't tried myself but I have been for a walk around Loch Coulin and Loch Clair with the family from the A896. Regardless of the condition of the track you need to know that the grounds surrounding Coulin Lodge are private.

In terms of alternatives, as folks have previously mentioned on other threads about the Bealach na Ba, the coast road Sheildeag - Applecross contains several short steep sections. You'll find something similar on the road from Torridon to Lower Diabaig as well. For a longer steady climb the road up Glen Docherty from Kinlochewe offers great views and you could do a circular route by heading through Achnasheen and down towards Lochcarron.
  • mabarbie
    mabarbie Posts: 64
    Thanks to you both. RonB, you are right, it is the Coulin Pass I was thinking of. If its private, its not much good in any event. Just hope I get nice weather, that is never guaranteed!!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    No such thing as a private road in Scotland - with the exception of the immediate grounds (i.e. front garden) you have the right to access any track (or in fact anywhere at all) using any non-motorised transport. I vaguely recall that there was some historical kerfuffle over access but we're talking early 20th century, not post-2004.
    As for the quality of the road surface, I remember from years ago (approx 30 :-() that the road north of the lodge was like a good quality forest road, the Coulin pass I don't know about - steeper roads tend to deteriorate faster.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    That's what I thought!

However, if you use that track and head towards the lodge you will be confronted with a b****y great fence, a b****y great gate, a b****y great sign saying "Private - Keep Out" and load of aggressive looking free-roaming dogs about the place, or at least that's what we found there last Easter and I wasn't about to take a principled stand with my 6yr old son.

Bompington is spot on about the road North of the Lodge but this only lasts up to the lochs. I would expect you would be ok with a MTB for the rest - but anyway, that goes beyond the OP's original query.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    are you desperate for certain features, or just looking for a nice loop for training that includes the Bealach climb? if it's the latter why not pinch the route of the short sportive, the Bealach Beag. It's 70 odd km.

http://www.handsonevents.co.uk/Events/B ... n_beag.htm
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Looking at the track on the little man on google looks like a cyclecross bike at best.
  • ronnierocket
    ronnierocket Posts: 172
    Here is a route that my friends and I did up there. Please ignore my average as I had not trained for ages and a lot of ways this not a good day for me but the route is good.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/120384828
  • Edward H
    Edward H Posts: 38
    Great route. You will easily find it. Stunning cycling.
    Good to see someone finding these routes. Must be better than haring around a city centre!
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Here is a route that my friends and I did up there. Please ignore my average as I had not trained for ages and a lot of ways this not a good day for me but the route is good.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/120384828

That's pretty much the Bealach Mor route, though it starts at Kinlochewe. I did it last year for the first time. Those little digs between Applecross and Sheildaig are quite challenging.
  • felltop
    felltop Posts: 1
    Achnashellach to Loch Coulin route is a rough vehicle track, and not good for a racer. It actually forms the "easy" part of one of the classic MTB routes up here. If you were really set on it though, think of the Paxton Gravel pits with bigger stones and a gradient (I'm a very ex St. Neots resident......)!

If you want some killer short hills, try riding out from Torridon Village to Diabaig. It's an out and back, but stunning scenery if you have the breath to look at it!

For a longer route try Kinlochewe>Gairloch>Dundonell>Garve>Achnasheen>Kinlochewe. Approx 110 miles and 5-6,000ft ascent from memory.

Where will you be based? There are other ptions north and siouth of Applecross.