Correct me if I'm wrong...

mitchell_inman
mitchell_inman Posts: 101
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
...but I don't think my bike's supposed to look like this :oops:

7217204912_1542228203.jpg

Happened about half a mile from work this morning - cue some 1 legged pedalling for the rest of the journey.

There's a future for you in the fire escape trade...

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Wahey! Powercranks for free!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    You're quite right. The teeth on the big ring look a bit worn, and I think the correct way to photograph a bike is with the chain on the big ring. Otherwise it's fine, carry on.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Tyre pressure looks a little low
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Pictures of bikes are supposed to show the drive side too.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    A triple on a commuter bike. I dunno.......... :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • EKE_38BPM
    Very shark toothy chainrings.
    Time for some new chainrings. Change your chain whilst your at it. Check your cassette for wear too.

Sod it. New chainrings, chain and cassette. Job lot.

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    That's a design flaw that is. It would have been way simpler to affix a small sticker to the top tube saying "periodically check that stuff is maintained before it gives way catastrophically and smacks your junk on the top tube"

Good grief man!

(or have you stolen Wiggin's mojo and just laid down excessive power?)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Jings - thanks for all the advice, guys. I'm ashamed that I could have made so many elementary mistakes when photographing my bike.

As for the drive train problems - Iooks like an ideal opportunity to learn some maintenance skills :?

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    I wouldn't worry. With pix like that, itboffin will be along shortly with a blank cheque to buy it. He can use the parts as upgrades for his newest bike. :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • EKE_38BPM
    Jings - thanks for all the advice, guys. I'm ashamed that I could have made so many elementary mistakes when photographing my bike.

As for the drive train problems - Iooks like an ideal opportunity to learn some maintenance skills :?

Good attitude.

I don't know what tools you have, so I will run through everything I think you need to sort out the problems I can see:
    Pump - Back tyre looks a little flat
    New chain rings - It may well be cheaper to buy a new chainset than all of the individual rings
    Chain tool - To remove the old chain and replace it with a new one
    Cassette removal tool - The clue is in the name
    New cassette - I can't see, but I guess you may have wear on your cassette too, judging from the condition of your chainrings
    Crank removal tool = Again, the clue is in the name
    Bottom bracket removal tool - To remove your busted BB, now we are getting to the root of the problem
    New BB - To replace the busted one.
    Various tools - Socket set, allen keys etc
    Grease
    Threadlock

Remove your rear wheel, remove your cassette, remove your cranks, break your chain, remove your BB (make a note of the part number and replace like for like or buy one with the same dimensions).
    Give the bike a good clean including the threads of the BB shell.
    Install new BB. Put grease on the threads or they will be a git to remove in the future.
    Install new cassette, break new chain at the same length as the old chain and install into frame.
    Either install new chainrings or install new cranks. If installing new cranks, grease the spindle of the BB and use thread lock on the crank bolts.
    Install rear wheel.
    Give everything a good look over and a shake before going for a test ride. This is where you spot your stupid mistakes (incorrect chain routing through the rear derailleur, chain not going through the front derailleur, pedals not at 180° etc).

Go for a spin then come home with a smile on your face as you have just done what is probably the hardest thing to do on a bike and now your bike feels new again.

Crack open a beer and watch the cricket.

• EKE - thanks for taking the trouble to do that.

My wife bought me a lovely set of tools last year - looks like time to use them. Luckily, I have another bike to commute on in the meantime.

• EKE_38BPM
    No worries.
    Seeing as you are in Edinburgh, instead of taking the other bike to work, how about using the tram?

Sore point?

• Tram - what's that? Oh, you mean the big hole in the city centre where the Council chucks our money :evil:

I'll stick with using the Sunday bike for a few days...

• After the purchase of a decent crank puller and a huuuuge spanner (to get purchase on the bottom bracket), the offending article has been removed...

7156818769_6d97120733.jpg

and looks like this:

7342033148_74315c9ce0.jpg

It's been a complete PITA getting it all apart - much wielding of big rubber hammer to get the cranks off, and I really didn't think the BB was coming out.

Question is - can I get it all back together???

• EKE_38BPM
    After the purchase of a decent crank puller and a huuuuge spanner (to get purchase on the bottom bracket), the offending article has been removed...

and looks like this:

It's been a complete PITA getting it all apart - much wielding of big rubber hammer to get the cranks off, and I really didn't think the BB was coming out.

Putting it all back together should be much easier.

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    After the purchase of a decent crank puller and a huuuuge spanner (to get purchase on the bottom bracket), the offending article has been removed...

and looks like this:

Putting it all back together should be much easier.

And if you're really lucky you'll have some bits left over that'll make for a lighter bike ;-)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Use a liberal smearing of copper grease prior to reassembly. Will make life much easier if there's a next time.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374

and looks like this:

Awww, now you've just gone and broken it.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I wouldn't worry. With pix like that, itboffin will be along shortly with a blank cheque to buy it. He can use the parts as upgrades for his newest bike. :D

now how did i miss this :twisted: no worries the PF is on her way, she assures me she'll wait until you least except it mwwwmwhahahhhaaahhaaaaa!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    ...but I don't think my bike's supposed to look like this :oops:

7217204912_1542228203.jpg

Happened about half a mile from work this morning - cue some 1 legged pedalling for the rest of the journey.

Could do with a good clean by the way.

Disappointing.