Donna Summer RIP

Kendal Black Drop
Kendal Black Drop Posts: 638
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
BBC News link
A statement from her family said: "Early this morning, we lost Donna Summer Sudano, a woman of many gifts, the greatest being her faith.

"While we grieve her passing, we are at peace celebrating her extraordinary life and her continued legacy. Words truly can't express how much we appreciate your prayers and love for our family at this sensitive time."

Tonight my stereo will be playing non stop disco classics like I Feel Love, Love To Love You Baby, Hot Stuff, Bad Girls, On The Radio, MacArthur Park and many more.

She will be sadly missed.

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    RIP, still young too :(
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    THE disco queen of all time.

Made some great dance tracks, two of my favourites I feel love and couldit be magic.

Too young R.I.P. Donna.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • A cover of the classic track by Jon & Vangelis - State of Independence
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    She was one sexy diva. Probably the sexiest. You can stuff your Rihannas and Sheryls - give me Donna when she was at her peak anyday.
    So sorry you lost your fight, sing high from the heavens.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Tragic.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    THE disco queen of all time. .

Surely that was Sylvester?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • THE disco queen of all time. .

Surely that was Sylvester?

This page on Wikipedia would suggest that they can both claim the title Queen of Disco.
  • ...as can Gloria Gaynor and Amanda Lear.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    More proof, if anyone needed any, that being a popstar/rockstar is a very unhealthy occupation.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    More proof, if anyone needed any, that being a popstar/rockstar is a very unhealthy occupation.

I'm not sure that being a popstar makes you more susceptible to dying of cancer.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Frank the tank

I understand she was taken by the "Big C" so how does that stack up Rick.

I do agree a fair few rock/pop stars die prematurely.
    Tail end Charlie

• rick_chasey
    Rolf F wrote:

I'm not sure that being a popstar makes you more susceptible to dying of cancer.......

http://jech.bmj.com/content/61/10/896
  • rick_chasey

I understand she was taken by the "Big C" so how does that stack up Rick.

I do agree a fair few rock/pop stars die prematurely.

I imagine a popstar lifestyle means you're more likely to get health problems at an earlier age - rather like smoking means you're more likely to get many kinds of cancers - and at an earlier age.
  • Frank the tank
    ...as can Gloria Gaynor and Amanda Lear.

The Donna Summer era was when I was well into the music Disco/soul/funk/jazz/northern and miss Summer had a new sound in the disco charts almost every other week. In my mind as a disco queen she was the one and only, untouchable.
    Tail end Charlie

• martinwitnam
    martinwitnam Posts: 439
    Rolf F wrote:

http://jech.bmj.com/content/61/10/896

Interesting that the article in that link mentions Eminem who to the best of my knowledge is NOT dead!
    And the conclusion is that musicians do NOT die any earlier than the general population!!

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • rick_chasey
    From 3 to 25 years post fame, both North American and European pop stars experience significantly higher mortality (more than 1.7 times) than demographically matched populations in the USA and UK, respectively
    ?
  • martinwitnam
    "Rock and pop stars are frequently characterised as indulging in high-risk behaviours, with high-profile deaths amongst such musicians creating an impression of premature mortality. However, studies to date have not quantified differences between mortality experienced by such stars and general populations."

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • martinwitnam
    Research only ever shows what the author wants to prove.

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Very sad. She made me able to dance. Almost.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Was it the Daily Heil I saw today which has the cover story along the lines "911 Dust Killed Donna Summer"?

Mental.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    Saw that on the front page of The Sun. Not mine I hasten to add, bloke at work buys it, I was only looking at the pictures.