My first fifty!

p9uma
p9uma Posts: 565
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Eckshoooally, it was 62:98 miles today, I set out to do 50 miles but I got a bit lost/miscalculated and ended up doing a few more miles than I anticipated, but that's ok it was fun, all but 4 miles was on quiet country roads.

My halfway break I visited the Cotswold cycle store, very nice in there so it was, very modern shop, friendly people, great welcome, they even offered me a coffee as soon as I walked in the door. And my, do they have some smashing kit in there!

On the way back I got a bit tired with only 7 miles to go, so I had a 5 min sit down and a torq bar and I was good to go again. I really enjoyed the day out.
Trek Madone 3.5
Whyte Coniston
1970 Dawes Kingpin

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    It's a great feeling isn't it. I've got my my first 100 booked in July so I'm upping my mileage. And if you're in the Cotswolds you've got some lovely countryside to do it in! Enjoy.
  • sancho1983
    sancho1983 Posts: 76
    Congrats, am aiming for my first fifty by the end of the summer - the one I have in mind is pretty flat too.

And you did 100km - So sort of a century...

:)
  • p9uma
    Gizmodo wrote:
    It's a great feeling isn't it. I've got my my first 100 booked in July so I'm upping my mileage. And if you're in the Cotswolds you've got some lovely countryside to do it in! Enjoy.

Sure is a great feeling, Im feeling very self righteous at the moment. Good luck with your first ton. I'm doing a sportive a week Sunday, so I would be ready for that by then.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • p9uma
    sancho1983 wrote:
    Congrats, am aiming for my first fifty by the end of the summer - the one I have in mind is pretty flat too.

100km, I never thought of that.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • sancho1983
    sancho1983 Posts: 76
    p9uma wrote:
    sancho1983 wrote:

100km, I never thought of that.

:wink: come on, always the optimist!!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    100k! :D

Well done, I bet you feel a great sense of achievement.

Next is the 160k!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • p9uma
    team47b wrote:
    100k! :D

Aye. I had to google the miles/kms to check that, I had no idea. I'm still using £/s/p.
    Well done, I bet you feel a great sense of achievement.

I do, I'm feeling very self righteous at the moment.
    Next is the 160k!

Nnnnnope! 60 is quite enough for me thanks, possibly, dunno, maybe.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Many congratulations.

Its one of my goals for this year
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    well done - if you can do 60 you can do 100 - just think its only another 20, then a break, then a 20.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • p9uma
    well done - if you can do 60 you can do 100 - just think its only another 20, then a break, then a 20.

Yes, I could probably do that but its the time it takes, I did that 60 in 4:21:45 riding time to do another 40 will add over two hours to the journey! I wouldnt have time to bollix on here if I did that.

I was just looking at the stats and my max speed was 42.6 mph! Crivens! That is quite quick on a bicycle innit?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Congrats, I kinda skiped the 50mile landmark as my first sportive was 69miles. However next weekend ive got my second sportive and thats a 100mile ride so will hopfully be celebrating my first century then. I dont think it is gonna be too bad though as there is a feeding station every 25 miles, so will be stopping at each one to grab a drink and some food, so will no doubt break it up.

Also in the 69 mile sportive there was 7000feet of climbing, but there is only 3500feet of climbing in this 100 miler.
  • p9uma
    NITR8s wrote:
    Congrats, I kinda skiped the 50mile landmark as my first sportive was 69miles. However next weekend ive got my second sportive and thats a 100mile ride so will hopfully be celebrating my first century then. I dont think it is gonna be too bad though as there is a feeding station every 25 miles, so will be stopping at each one to grab a drink and some food, so will no doubt break it up.

Also in the 69 mile sportive there was 7000feet of climbing, but there is only 3500feet of climbing in this 100 miler.

Where is your sportive next week?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    50 is always a figure that blows my legs, can do 40 no problem, but them extra 10 always kills me.

A couple of us did 72 miles last weekend, but we had to stop for something to eat after 45 miles.
    I am building up to do 100 miles this years, one of my goals!

Well done on your 62 its a great feeling. You imagine driving 62 miles?? its a long way!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Well done - and as was noted above, a metric century to boot!
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    p9uma wrote:
    NITR8s wrote:

Cycle Heroes at the Stratford upon avon Bike Festival, was gonna do the wiggle peaks but found this one on the same day, cheaper and you get free bbq afterwards(this swung it).
  • p9uma
    NITR8s wrote:
    p9uma wrote:
    NITR8s wrote:

Cycle Heroes at the Stratford upon avon Bike Festival, was gonna do the wiggle peaks but found this one on the same day, cheaper and you get free bbq afterwards(this swung it).
    G

Ahh ok, the enemy and I are doing the Chiltern 100
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin