6'4" & 20st noob saying hello...

Grenouille
Grenouille Posts: 50
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi! I just picked up my new hybrid yesterday, a Boardman comp and will be starting cycling to work when I get back from France in 2 weeks (I'm staying near to Mont Ventoux, a famous mountain stage in the Tour de France). I have been doing a few miles round my town over the last couple of weeks on my Saracen Mantra MTB and have got from a starting weight of 20.1 stone to 19.6 stone in that time. I'm looking forward to getting down some more over the coming months. :D I took the Boardman out for a spin this morning and shaved off just over 2 minutes from my previous best time over my usual 6.5 mile circuit :)

http://app.strava.com/athletes/422956

My ride to work will be about 8.5 miles so the distance is not too bothersome, there are a couple of big hills though...I'm hoping my lighter bike will help haul my fat ass up them easier! :lol:

Comments

• Hello there. Are you wearing a cape in your avatar? If so, I think a CX bike may have been a better choice.
  • Grenouille
    Haha, no that's a hoodie I was wearing for a self portrait I shot. :lol:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Go for it it mate! Welcome, and let us know how you get on :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Excellent work. This time last year I was 6'2" & 18st and after losing half a stone on my MTB through regular training and diet, I to bought a Boardman Hybrid (the team version) - it has helped me lost another 3.5 stone since then! So it does work.

What you will really notice make the hills easier is every time you lose some weight. You may find the hills harder to start with because the Hybrid gears probably dont go as low as your MTB. But persevere (and buy a 32 tooth cassette if you REALLY need lower gears) and it will pay off. Early on, I was training 5-6 times a week on an 11.5mile loop with 1 gradual but long hill and 2 sharp but short ones. So I guess not too dissimilar to your commute.

I noticed every pound of weight that I lost on the hills before I noticed it on the scales - the difference was appreciable!

Keep on riding!
  • Grenouille
    Thanks. I'm still getting used to the terminology in the cycling world...3 weeks ago my knowledge of bikes was zero...it's not much better now but I'm getting there! :D
  • Grenouille
    apreading wrote:
    Excellent work. This time last year I was 6'2" & 18st and after losing half a stone on my MTB through regular training and diet, I to bought a Boardman Hybrid (the team version) - it has helped me lost another 3.5 stone since then! So it does work.

What you will really notice make the hills easier is every time you lose some weight. You may find the hills harder to start with because the Hybrid gears probably dont go as low as your MTB. But persevere (and buy a 32 tooth cassette if you REALLY need lower gears) and it will pay off. Early on, I was training 5-6 times a week on an 11.5mile loop with 1 gradual but long hill and 2 sharp but short ones. So I guess not too dissimilar to your commute.

I noticed every pound of weight that I lost on the hills before I noticed it on the scales - the difference was appreciable!

Keep on riding!
    Oh yes, I've changed my diet too, smaller portions, cutting out bread as much as possible.

Glad to know there are others who started the same as me. :)

Yes, the hybrid's gears are a lot different - I used to find life quite easy on the top gear of the MTB - the Boardman top gear is a lot higher and harder to turn...but quicker once you get up to speed. I found with the MTB that I couldn't pedal fast enough on down slopes so I was speed restricted...not that I have the stamina yet to keep it going at speed for long.

Oh and one other question - Bar Ends? Worth spending a few bob on?
  • Grenouille wrote:

I think we can do better than that, meet our friend Gaz:

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/

You're half the man he was. Almost exactly. :D
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Grenouille wrote:
    Bar Ends? Worth spending a few bob on?

Welcome.

I'd say yes. They give you options for hand positions, so could help to relieve any ache you get from riding in one position for a long time.

Your next bike will have drop handlebars. Guaranteed!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Grenouille
    Grenouille wrote:

I think we can do better than that, meet our friend Gaz:

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/

You're half the man he was. Almost exactly. :D

Wow!
  • Grenouille
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Grenouille wrote:

Welcome.

I'd say yes. They give you options for hand positions, so could help to relieve any ache you get from riding in one position for a long time.

Haha...I'm already looking! Although I'm sure SWMBO would have something to say about that! :lol:
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Grenouille wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Grenouille wrote:
    Welcome.
    Haha...I'm already looking! Although I'm sure SWMBO would have something to say about that! :lol:

Bar ends will help going up the hills, that is what they are for - so you can brace your arms against using your upper body to help yank yourself up...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    hello and welcome!

i've had my boardman hybrid almost two years now, and just did my triathlon using it on the weekend... (whilst in the middle of fighting off a virus...)

bar ends do help - i've wrapped mine in some bar tape for comfort

my next bike will be a full carbon roadie most likely :)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    apreading wrote:
    Excellent work. This time last year I was 6'2" & 18st...Keep on riding!
    Blimey. I read the first post then saw this and thought OP had grown 2" and put on a couple of stone in a year. Good effort...

Welcome Grenouille. Save yourself a few years of faffing about with inconsequential incremental upgrades and get yourself a lightweight road bike, and lie to OH if she questions it. You'll have one anyway; may as well get on with it. :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Welcome. Your avatar reminds me of the Sith.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Well done, enjoy and another yes to bar ends.
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    Grenouille wrote:
    Hi! I just picked up my new hybrid yesterday, a Boardman comp and will be starting cycling to work when I get back from France in 2 weeks (I'm staying near to Mont Ventoux, a famous mountain stage in the Tour de France). I have been doing a few miles round my town over the last couple of weeks on my Saracen Mantra MTB and have got from a starting weight of 20.1 stone to 19.6 stone in that time. I'm looking forward to getting down some more over the coming months. :D I took the Boardman out for a spin this morning and shaved off just over 2 minutes from my previous best time over my usual 6.5 mile circuit :)

http://app.strava.com/athletes/422956

My ride to work will be about 8.5 miles so the distance is not too bothersome, there are a couple of big hills though...I'm hoping my lighter bike will help haul my fat ass up them easier! :lol:

ahhh - best thing i ever did was buy my Hybrid. I used to call it a BSO but i have a growing affection for it. Stick at it mate, benefits are immense. You remind me of this day:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12628109
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    iclestu wrote:

ahhh - best thing i ever did was buy my Hybrid. I used to call it a BSO but i have a growing affection for it. Stick at it mate, benefits are immense. You remind me of this day:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12628109
    Great first post Iclestu. I don't think your bike is a BSO. Not a dream machine, but not a BSO either.

I look forward to Grenouille posts in the future as he really gets bitten by the bug. Next stop: lycra!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Grenouille
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Welcome. Your avatar reminds me of the Sith.
    Not a bad call...maybe I am a dark lord of cycling...;)
  • Grenouille
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Next stop: lycra!
    I er...might already have some... :lol:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone too. :)