front mech replaced??? higher speed needed to change up?

benjii19
benjii19 Posts: 67
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi all I've just been to the LBS to pick up my girlfriends bike (she hasn't looked after it) I took it in to have a cheapo front mech added (Shimano Acera) as the old one was knackered. I tried it out after and found that whilst pedalling relatively slowly it would struggle/take a while to jump on to the top wheel of my triple.

I took it back in and the mechanic kindly set it up on his stand and changed up and down and it worked fine. He then explained it's like changing gear on a car you need the speed/revs to do it.

In essence you need to be pedalling faster for it to jump to the top cog. I'm just dubious because I'm sure on my bike it just hops up to the top cog at relatively low speeds. So have I been had, or is this something I should really know.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I don't think that you need to have a higher cadence for the chain to move up onto a bigger chainring as the derailleur physically moves the chain and this should work at any speed as long as the chainring is actually turning, but, if you are riding at a low cadence when the chain does go onto the big ring, you will find it hard to keep turning the pedals as you are now in a higher gear.

So, to answer your question, no, you don't need to be pedalling fast for the chain to move onto the big ring, but you will want to in order to keep the pedals spinning.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Possibly the cable is a bit too slack. I think you should be able to change at any speed, but as EKE mentioned you may not want to.
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    I think it's more important to be able to take the pressure off the pedals but keep the cranks spinning through the gear change. Pushing hard + gear change = lost chain
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    And, if you pedal slowly it will take longer for the chain to securely engage...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'm with the mechanic on this one. We know the theory is fine that the mech should shove the chain across but my exp is that pedalling in the zone results in a sweet change, and if nothing else he's proved it by hoiking it up on a stand and showing you that it works at a reasonable speed.

Show her how much you love her and buy her a Di2 setup. They change at any speed, even if you're dancing up a hill on the thing trying to wrestle the bars out of the steerer.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    CiB wrote:
    I'm with the mechanic on this one. We know the theory is fine that the mech should shove the chain across but my exp is that pedalling in the zone results in a sweet change, and if nothing else he's proved it by hoiking it up on a stand and showing you that it works at a reasonable speed.

I'm glad you said it first because I am also with the mechanic on this one. I've experienced this on a bike that needed gear indexing and certainly one that needed both a combination of high cadence and pushing the lever right the way in to engage the gear.

It's surprising that you should need to do this on a bike that has just been dialled right, but certainly I've experienced it on numerous occassions on different gears (when the bike gears need indexing).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    bunter wrote:
    I think it's more important to be able to take the pressure off the pedals but keep the cranks spinning through the gear change. Pushing hard + gear change = lost chain

I wanted to say "Not with EPS" but I see Mr. Di2 got in there first. Dammit.
  • benjii19
    benjii19 Posts: 67
    So if the front mech has been replaced it should have no problem changin at alow cadence??
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    benjii19 wrote:
    So if the front mech has been replaced it should have no problem changin at alow cadence??

In an ideal world, there shouldn't be a problem, assuming it has been indexed correctly (which the LBS should have done). The issue I mentioned about wanting to spin faster when going into a higher gear still applies though, no matter how well it is indexed. Even with Di2 or EPS.

So, in the real world, I'm with the mechanic, even though in theory you should be able to change onto the big ring at any cadence. Using the car analogy, you wouldn't change into third gear whilst creeping along in first.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • If the chainrings have ramps and pins to help the chain up from middle to top then a higher cadence will result in a quicker shift simply because the pin and ramped section will come round sooner. I can't think why a lower cadence should prevent shifting altogether; however, I can remember times when shifting would get very sketchy if I was turning the cranks too slowly. Perhaps the real cause is chain tension, which is often related to cadence. If you're honking too big a gear up a hill at low cadence your chain is under too much tension to shift, if it's essentially unloaded (as on a workstand) then it will shift easily at any cadence.