Buying New Bikes

Dirtrider
Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Just though I would share some of my experiences trying to buy a new high end freeride bike with everyone. This applies to all high end bikes from all disciplines, so some may find this useful.

I was after a 160-180mm freeride bike, but didn't have the cash to spend 3-4k on one, so my options were either looking at getting a finance deal from a shop, or going second hand. However, I didn't really want to shell out the 1.5-2k on a second hand bike straight away either.

After searching for around 4 weeks i realised my best bet was probably to go for an ex demo bike from a shop/distributor. Or possibly a second hand bike that I could get on finance.

There are many shops that do these, for example:

http://www.silverfish-uk.com/pre-used_e ... r_sale.php

This has some very good value bikes on there, and I really considered the mondraker Dune R, however, couldn't get it on finance so went out of the window.

Eventually I found a Trek Scratch 9 ex demo from a shop near Fort William. It's a 2011 model, 4.5k new and I got it for just over 2k, and it's basically new. Obviously, it has been used, and being used on Fort William means it will have had some serious use. However, it's also been maintained by a shop throughout this. Furthermore, the bike is made for this riding, so there is no reason why it can't stand up to it, also the bike is in great condition anyway.

The shop is also selling trek fuel's etc for great prices, so may be worth a look if anyones after one of these. (will pm link to anyone if they want it).

With regard to second hand buying, I actually got sent a link to a beatiful Lapierre 318 at the same time, wasn't really what I was after but sent the link to my brother, who ended up buying the bike. The guy who sold it to me just wanted rid, and I got a very, very good deal on it.

At the same time, I sold my old Giant VT2 to a guy, and got a very good price for this.

Lessons learned all around are:

Great deals on ex demo bikes if your willing to call around hire shops and distributors.

Great deals on second hand if you look around and wait to get a decent deal.

If your selling something, make the effort and advertise it properly, there's always people willing to buy what your selling, usually for more than it's worth, just make sure your not doing that why you buy.
For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm