Help from S-Works sl3 owners please

jus71n
jus71n Posts: 138
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Basicly my question is about sizing, I'm currenly looking to replace my ribble carbon frame with an S-works sl3 tarmac 2011 frame but im struggling with sizing,

I'm 5' 8" and am thinking it will be a 54cm (M) or a 56cm (L), and seeing as I will be buying it from ebay I'm not going to have chance to sit on one before I purchase, so..... It would be great if some owners of these could let me know their height and what frame size they currently use, also maybe a picture so I can guage the seat height and setup etc

Thanks to anybody in advance for the help.
S-Works Tarmac Disc Di2 2017 :shock:

Felt AR3 Di2 :) (6870 11spd upgrade) 2012 - Now gone.

Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Ultegra 2016

Comments

• izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Hope this helps:

6' 2", 34 in inside leg, have a 58cm frame bike fitted at a Concept store
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    What is your inside leg measurement? Although I am sure the 56 will be to big for you, therefore the 54 would be my input. However the old advice is best try to get to a shop to sit on one, or a make with similar geometry. Some net research will give you this info

Hope this helps
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I have a Tarmac Elite. I'm 5'11 and the 56 is just right for me. I would also think the 56 may be too big for you - but it may not!

Can you go to your lbs and try both for size?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Not sure if this helps, I used it to buy my Specialized

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_docu ... -chart.pdf
  • jus71n
    Thanks for the help guys, just measured myself in cm and i'm, 175cm which is bang on the top end od 54cm, and at the bottom of 56cm lol, according to the guide posted above.

• Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Look at the geometry on the Spesh website and compare with your current bike.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    When i had a Tarmac, it was a 56cm and i'm 1.83m and BB to top of saddle was 77cm - inside leg 86.5cm, it was a very good fit with a 110 stem, but my GF who is 5,7 finds even the 54cm too large for her - it depends on your body proportions and how much drop you can tolerate - internet fits are not very good!
    A 5min ride around a car pk isn't going to tell you much especially when they soon pick up your not buying from them:)

I'd go on how your present bike fits, look at the geo charts of both makes and decide from there.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    Can you just pay for a BG fit at your nearest Concept store? It might be an additional cost but better than buying a bike that doesn't fit you properly. Failing that, as someone suggested above, if you have a bike that currently feels right take the measurements from that and compare it against the Spec geometry charts.
  • jus71n
    Think a LBS may be a specialized dealer, feel a bit cheeky going in and asking to sit on a few knowing full well im not buying one of theirs.

Mine currently is a 55cm ribble sportive and seems the right size, but all frames aint the same......

• wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Pross wrote:
    Can you just pay for a BG fit at your nearest Concept store? It might be an additional cost but better than buying a bike that doesn't fit you properly. Failing that, as someone suggested above, if you have a bike that currently feels right take the measurements from that and compare it against the Spec geometry charts.

+ 1 in principle to that but if you don't want a BG fit the Concept Stores do a measure and check to find you the correct size and they use it to set up complete bikes. I ams ure it cost about £40 if you just then walk away with a note of it but it is free if you then buy a bike or frame from them - so maybe a good option?

I would say buy from a Concept Store if you possibly can - the after sales service is exceptional and well worth a few extra quid on a major purchase IMO.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd think the 56 is too big for you.

Better to go smaller than larger. You can raise the saddle etc.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    If we're talking in Internet generalisations I'd say a 56 sl3 would be more for someone around 6 foot.

A 54 or even 52 would be more likely for you.
  • Evil Laugh
    Bear in mind too that the sl3 has a very harsh front end.

I'd really advise a test ride so you know what you're letting yourself in for.
  • jus71n
    What do you mean by, "harsh front end"?

• nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    If its any help I ride an Allez which has pretty much identical geometry to the Tarmac. I'm 5ft 7 and a half and ride a 54cm so I'd definitely say that a 56 would be too large.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I also ride an Allez, I'm about 5'10" and ride a 54cm frame. Right at the top end according to the charts but there is still plenty of adjustment in the saddle and stem so I would say the 54cm is perfect for you. Personally,I tend to favour a slightly smaller frame anyway but I don't feel it is too small for me by any means, feels just right.
    I was in a sportive last week and was quite surprised to see how big some people's frames are, dare I say it, several of them looked too big for the riders.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Evil Laugh
    The front end of the bike is extremely stiff, head tube and forks. The bike doesn't deal well with medium to rough road surfaces which makes the bike a) very tiring on the hands, shoulders and back and b) quite skittish of descents.

On smooth roads it is great and the back end is lovely and springy but I'm not sure it's the best bike for our country lanes.

75 miles was enough to convince me to sell mine. I've since tried an sl4 which was no better.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    My other half used to have an SL3. He's 5'9" and had a 54cm.