Hive Mind - Route Advice

Koncordski
Koncordski Posts: 1,009
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Hello all, I'm doing a little trip (50miles ish) down to see a friend this weekend in west sussex. I'll be leaving from surbiton (SW London) and ending up in South Harting which is near Petersfield. Obviously the google maps default is to send me via the A3 but has anyone got local knowledge or can give me a slightly more pleasant route for the bike it would be appreciated. How is the A283 from godalming?

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

Comments

• Stag on
    Stag on Posts: 99
    Assume you are conversant with the Surrey hills so can get yourself to the Godalming area.

The 283 and 286 are both fairly open single lane A roads through pleasant countryside. Neither are particularly hostile but traffic is reasonably fast, particularly on the 283 - although the 286 is probably slightly narrower and with worse visibility so perhaps more dangerous.

Both are do-able, undulating in nature

Other options? You could head to the other side of the A3 and pick your way down through Elstead, Thursley and Hindhead. A quieter ride.

Once you hit Liphook the B2070 is the old A3 that was bypassed by the dual carriageway and is therefore fairly wide but also quite quiet. I would head for this as it takes you down the east side of Petersfield and near your destination.

There is actually a cycle lane adjacent to the A3 running much of the way down (!!) Not recommended though.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Thanks stag, the 283 looks like it has a good parallel country road. Currently thinking this http://g.co/maps/bmhza

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Stag on
    Stag on Posts: 99
    Ah yes, Lickfold - Lodsworth. I know that neck of the woods very well due to an ex squeeze in the area :oops: A much quieter road, still 'undulating'. Watch out for the road surface down there.

It's taking you a strange route round Lodsworth, just stay on the main road through the village.

The 272 in between there and Midhurst is very 'up and down'

Beautiful part of the world, should be a very scenic route.