Tyres: An observation.

p9uma
p9uma Posts: 565
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I went for the first 30+ mile ride yesterday on my bike since I changed the stock Bontranger tyres to GP4000s . I bought the Conti tyres as a result of reading about them on here and on other review sites.

I asked what, if anything i could do about the vibration coming up from the roads on with poor surfaces, and wether a carbon seat post was the answer. Most of the advice given was that I would be better off changing the tyres. Despite all the positive reviews and comments about Conti gp's I was sceptical that tyres could make much difference to a bike ride.

Well, I was wrong and everyone else was right, the difference is extraordinary, the ride on the bike is smoother, feels like its rolling quicker and the handling is definately more confident.

Thanks for the advice everyone, my bum, hands and I are most grateful.
Trek Madone 3.5
Whyte Coniston
1970 Dawes Kingpin

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Sounds like a good outcome. I like those tyres myself...
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    I had much the same experience going from OEM Spesh tyres to Vittoria Paves - unbelievable improvement in comfort - wish I have done it when I first got the bike!
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Jesus wept
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Yup when I switched from the crappy spesh tyres that came stock with my bike to some gatorskins last autumn the improvement in the ride was massive.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Jesus wept

Why?

Did he spend money on tyres and not notice any improvements or is he just depressed perhaps?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Jesu swept

Why?

Did he spend money on tyres and not notice any improvements or is he just depressed perhaps?

No, Jesu was a street cleaner
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Jesus wept

Why?

He's been doing quite a bit of weeping recently it seems!!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12854462&p=17623234&hilit=jesus+wept#p17623234
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Jesus wept

At least be original if you're going to be a tool.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Interesting Observation, more replies to 'Jesus Wept' than the original topic
  • i changed from bontrager race lite £ 9.00 on ebay . to schwalbe ultremo zx £ 31 of wiggle . and can feel no differance whatsoever .
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    i changed from bontrager race lite £ 9.00 on ebay . to schwalbe ultremo zx £ 31 of wiggle . and can feel no differance whatsoever .

An interesting observation and no doubt disappointing. Well, I would be disappointed after that investment. I was sceptical myself on whether there would be any changes in the ride but there was; a marked difference. Perhaps you would have noticed an improvement had you bought Conti GP 4000s.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • I also changed from stock Bontranger tyres to Conti Gp4000's, and then really noticed the difference as the original post stated. No more cheap tyres for me!
  • marin_maniac
    marin_maniac Posts: 513
    i changed from bontrager race lite £ 9.00 on ebay . to schwalbe ultremo zx £ 31 of wiggle . and can feel no differance whatsoever .

I changed from Conti's GP4000s to Schwalbe Ultremo zx's (cause they were free to me :D ) and I can deffo tell the difference. When the ZX's wear out or the grate me too much I'll be switching back the to Conti's.

In comparison to the Conti's, the ZX's are far less supple.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    MattC59 wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Jesus wept

At least be original if you're going to be a tool.

I'll be a tool in any way I see fit, thanks.