super furry mamil

mog812
mog812 Posts: 66
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I know most, if not all on here, shave their legs... it's the image thing, and something that will go on being debated, I'm sure...
But what i wanted to know, was, what about those of us, who have more than our fair share of bodily hair... lets say for arguments sake, someone like Robin Williams...
Does that require a full body wax, or just shave the legs, and don't worry too much about the arms or anywhere else?

I know you won't let me down, with your thoughts and opinions.
Thanks.

Mog.

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Just have the back, sack & crack done.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    mog812 wrote:
    I know most, if not all on here, shave their legs...

Really?

Sure?
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    mog812 wrote:

Really?

Sure?
    What would be the reason for doing it? Other than it makes it easier to clean out grazes.

It's not like it will add anything to a performance, especially if your are wearing lycra - which lets face it if the summer never arrives we will all be in full length lycra all year. Oh the joy of global warming!!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    TheFD wrote:
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    mog812 wrote:

Really?

Sure?
    What would be the reason for doing it? Other than it makes it easier to clean out grazes.

It's not like it will add anything to a performance, especially if your are wearing lycra - which lets face it if the summer never arrives we will all be in full length lycra all year. Oh the joy of global warming!!!

AFAIK it makes massage much easier and more pleasant. Not really a problem for the likes of me.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    The point of shaving only really applies to the pros if you ask me, as they get massages a few times a day to relieve muscle ache, and smooth legs are much easier to massage than hairy ones. People who shave their legs to look "cool" or be like the pros are just silly, as they have no need for it.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    "shave their legs... it's the image thing,"

True; shaved legs look consistent ("correct," if you will) with the lycra & little ankle socks. Cave-man stems hanging out the bottom of tight shorts looks a bizarre. It's no surprise that people do it, cyclists (to, quite unfairly, generalise) seem obsessed with looking "right."
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Unless your hair is so long it is getting tangled in the chainrings AND/OR you are lucky enough to enjoy regular leg massages don't bother shaving just for posing value
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    I have to tape my knees daily to manage my chondromalacia, and the tape really pulls on the leg hair. I have shaved my knees in the past (which looked ridiculous), and I'm currently contemplating just going the whole hog and getting rid of all the leg hair. Just worried about what my girlfriend will say really...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    mog812 wrote:

I don't.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    I can't be arsed to shave my chin most of the time, never mind my legs
  • mog812
    mog812 Posts: 66
    ok ok...
    would seem most don't actually shave legs then
    you all have my apologies...
    and just to go back to what I had originally asked (for those.... seemingly few) that do shave their legs, would that be likely to include arms too, or anywhere else?
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    If you don't shave your legs you look sh!t on a bike. Fact. If that doesn't bother you, carry on.

To answer the question, having hairy arms/chest doesn't affect how cool you look on the bike, so no need. Just legs.
  • sancho1983
    sancho1983 Posts: 76
    I shave my legs and glue it onto my dork disc to camouflage it...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    P_Tucker wrote:
    If you don't shave your legs you look sh!t on a bike. Fact. If that doesn't bother you, carry on.

To answer the question, having hairy arms/chest doesn't affect how cool you look on the bike, so no need. Just legs.

This. You can certainly tell this is the beginners forum ;)
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    P_Tucker wrote:

I think a recent quote for youself fits perfectly here. . .
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Jesus wept.
  • P_Tucker
    Of course, if you have a BMI over 23 you look shit on a bike regardless of whether your legs are shaved. I imagine this covers most people on here. In summary, probably not worth bothering.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Of course, if you have a BMI over 23 you look shoot on a bike regardless of whether your legs are shaved. I imagine this covers most people on here. In summary, probably not worth bothering.

Speak for yourself Friar Tuck :P :lol:
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    P_Tucker wrote:
    If you don't shave your legs you look sh!t on a bike. Fact.

I wonder of you would care to explain the logic underlying this conclusion. Or to put it another way on what evidence do base this statement? It's rather presumptions of you to assume that if one doesn't shave thier legs they look sh!t on a bike. I don't look sh!t on a bike, I never have done. I have never shaved my legs either.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    I'd hazard a wild guess fatboy Tuck is trolling
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    I'd hazard a wild guess fatboy Tuck is trolling

Ahh! I have fallen in to the little tucker's trap. My bad, if may be so bold as to use a popular modern vernacular.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • P_Tucker
    p9uma wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    If you don't shave your legs you look sh!t on a bike. Fact.

I wonder of you would care to explain the logic underlying this conclusion. Or to put it another way on what evidence do base this statement? It's rather presumptions of you to assume that if one doesn't shave thier legs they look sh!t on a bike. I don't look sh!t on a bike, I never have done. I have never shaved my legs either.

This is different from the core strength/ sports massage in that "looking good" is somewhat subjective. However, I will admit I'm wrong ( :shock: ) if you can show me one photo of someone with hairy legs who looks good on a road bike.
  • Gizmo_
    I'm quite happy to look sh!t, thanks.

I'm 20kgs too heavy to worry about gaying up my legs.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    The point of shaving only really applies to the pros if you ask me, as they get massages a few times a day to relieve muscle ache, and smooth legs are much easier to massage than hairy ones. People who shave their legs to look "cool" or be like the pros are just silly, as they have no need for it.

"Looking cool" or whatever is the only reason for doing it! If you asked a masseur if hairy legs are more difficult to massage than shaved, you'd be met with bemusement... likewise, nurses who clean and dress wounds aren't much troubled by a hairy leg. Hair is the least of their challenges.

It's for the sleek looks and tribal identity and there's nothing wrong with that — though the po-faced pretence that it's all a very serious matter is a bit silly, in my view..!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Gizmo_ wrote:

Red flagged and reported as homophobic
  • P_Tucker
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Gizmo_ wrote:

Red flagged and reported as homophobic

+1 Terrible scenes. Probably means hes 20kg too heavy to be able to reach his legs with a razor. You know how they make paint rollers on long poles for ceilings and such - anyone know if they do the same for razors?
  • Gizmo_
    5'9 and 90kgs. But big rugby-player type legs. If I shaved them I'd look like something a butcher would put string around.
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    I always used to get midges sticking to my legs in the summer until I started shaving them (the legs, not the midges).

Mind you that was 20 years ago when I was a fit young whippersnapper. I don't think I would look quite so dashing now.