Wing mirrors

extrusion
extrusion Posts: 247
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi

I managed to lightly scrape a car mirror whilst filtering between cars last night. It was very light and could only hvae been the plastic end cap and rubber grip of my flat bar hybrid but it did sound a bit scrapey.

Anyway they beeped me, i shouted sorry and had to carry on as the traffic was at a roundabout and i had to get across.

To be honest my first reaction was not oh no i should stop and apologise, more oh get over it. Thinking about it afterwards though of course i feel guilty and realise i would be pissed if a somebody did it to me.

There was also a moment a long time ago where i was squeezing down a cycle lane to the asl which was all partly blocked by a chav girl in her body kitted saxo. My foot managed to kick her massivo sticky out wheel arch and bloody hurt. Again my first reaction was "shouldnt be in the bloody asl, or cycle lane, and shouldnt have such stupid bodykit, and dont cry it was the top of my foot which was wearing nike frees, so nice and soft" although i did apologise after we shared some dialogue :D

So has this happene d to others? What did you do?

Comments

• Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    The best thing to do would be to stop trying to squeeze through gaps that are too narrow for your bars. :D

If you don't think you can get through, don't do it - a gap will open soon enough and you'll be on your way. By the sounds of it you are way quicker than the traffic around you, it's okay to wait every now and again for a decent gap to open up.

Either that or saw an inch off the end of your bars....
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Massimo wrote:
    The best thing to do would be to stop trying to squeeze through gaps that are too narrow for your bars. :D
    +1
    Massimo wrote:
    If you don't think you can get through, don't do it - a gap will open soon enough and you'll be on your way. By the sounds of it you are way quicker than the traffic around you, it's okay to wait every now and again for a decent gap to open up.

Either that or saw an inch off the end of your bars....
    Only an inch? Think bigger, or rather narrower!
    Stubby%2Bbars.jpg
    Then you will fit in with the fakengers.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    That, my friend, is frikken awsome!
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • extrusion
    Massimo wrote:

I didn't realise the gap was too tight until I went through. :? In all honesty I'm scratching my head trying to work out what part scraped the mirror as it sounded like metal on plastic, if it had been my brake lever surely I would have come to a sudden stop, or it would then have hit my bars, and if it had been my bars I would have had a lickle wobble. Either way I didn't notice anything other than the noise.

If I find out who it was im going to sue them for Guilt Associated Accident Syndrome. This is definitely genuine :lol: .
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    Took out an Addison Lee drivers wing mirror while filtering through traffic on the Mall, the gap was big enough but I had a short lapse in concentration so completely my fault. Smashed the indicator completely off. I picked up the pieces and made an attempt to reconstruct it while apoligising. I waited for the backlash from the driver but he just said don't worry about it mate as I handed him back all that was left of his wing mirror and drove off.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    These things happen and this is why 3rd party insurance is a good idea...
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    extrusion wrote:
    Massimo wrote:

I didn't realise the gap was too tight until I went through. :? In all honesty I'm scratching my head trying to work out what part scraped the mirror as it sounded like metal on plastic, if it had been my brake lever surely I would have come to a sudden stop, or it would then have hit my bars, and if it had been my bars I would have had a lickle wobble. Either way I didn't notice anything other than the noise.

If I find out who it was im going to sue them for Guilt Associated Accident Syndrome. This is definitely genuine :lol: .

straps on a backpack/ pannier?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Massimo wrote:

No from where I'm looking that is ugly and illegal (2 forms of braking are needed). And white tyres? -come on thats teh cycling equivalent of white stillettoes.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    t4tomo wrote:
    Massimo wrote:

No from where I'm looking that is ugly and illegal (2 forms of braking are needed). And white tyres? -come on thats teh cycling equivalent of white stillettoes.

**PAGING WRATH ROB**

Tarty white mudgards etc.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    1. Learn how wide your bike is

2. If you hit someone else then stop to sort it out

3. Join British Cyling or CTC so that if you hit someone you don't have to pay

:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bails87 wrote:

In theory if you have set up your handle bars correctly (on a road bike anyway) your hands should be as wide as your shoulders - in which case it's easy to work out/feel how wide you are.
  • bails87
    only hvae been the plastic end cap and rubber grip of my flat bar hybrid

2. Really? I didn't know that. Will have to measure my shoulders as an excuse to get new bars....
    MTB/CX

• extrusion
    bails87 wrote:
    only hvae been the plastic end cap and rubber grip of my flat bar hybrid

2. Really? I didn't know that. Will have to measure my shoulders as an excuse to get new bars....

Hybrid trying to be a 29er mountain bike, bars are about six foot wide. However, as I know where my hands are I know where the bars end. Thought I did anyway :oops:
  • bails87
    To be fair, I've done the same. Rode my MTB (710mm bars) after being on the road bike, I clipped a wing mirror while slowly passing a car waiting at the lights. I stopped and apologised but the driver just looked confused, he hadn't realised I'd done anything and there was no damage done in any case.

Although, surely the fact that you were passing traffic meant that it wasn't going that quickly?
    MTB/CX

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    t4tomo wrote:
    Massimo wrote:

**PAGING WRATH ROB**

Tarty white mudgards etc.
    I think the original quote is correct, white tyres = white stillettoes. White mudguards, white frame, black tyres and wheels = class. I'm sure JZed will come along with a pearl of wisdom too, but as he has now joined the white stillettoe masses his opinion no longer counts ;)
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    bails87 wrote:

In theory if you have set up your handle bars correctly (on a road bike anyway) your hands should be as wide as your shoulders - in which case it's easy to work out/feel how wide you are.

Exactly like a cat's whiskers, and is one of the reasons why they have them. If their whiskers touch the side of a gap that they are trying to get trough, they know its smaller than thier body and its not a good idea to go down.

How the cat's DNA has evolved to ensure they grow only to the width of thier body is another thing. And do they grow a bit longer at Christmas??
  • mr_ribble
    bails87 wrote:

Exactly like a cat's whiskers, and is one of the reasons why they have them. If their whiskers touch the side of a gap that they are trying to get trough, they know its smaller than thier body and its not a good idea to go down.

How the cat's DNA has evolved to ensure they grow only to the width of thier body is another thing. And do they grow a bit longer at Christmas??
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Am I the only one tempted to go find a cat and trim its whiskers now?
    Sorry, I'm a dog person.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mr_ribble
    dhope wrote:
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Am I the only one tempted to go find a cat and trim its whiskers now?
    Sorry, I'm a dog person.

No. The reason why I know this is because when I was at school, the housemaster had a cat. And the cat ate a hamster that one of the pupils was keeping in his room. So a revenge attack took place and its whiskers were removed. The housemaster wasnt to pleased at this feline abuse and proceeded to lecture us on the purpose and importance of whiskers.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Aye aye, boys in boarding school , hamsters in rooms, nudge nudge.

Cat was just looking after your welfare you grubby beggars.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rick_chasey
    That'd put them in IMMENSE pain, AFAIK.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Would it? Its only hair, is it not?

I would have thought that clipping their concealed weapons (claws) may have caused them discomfort, but not pain and this would be even less than cutting their whiskers.

• corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    It does irk me that most modern cars have colour-matched painted wing mirrors so even the slightest knock is going to cost £100s at a spray shop to put right. Half of me thinks it serves the prat right for buying such a poncy car in the first place, but pedantically yes the right thing would be to stop and apologise (but only if they're not looking like the sort of person that will thump you).
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I did this a while back, got yelled at, replied with an ironic "Sorry mate I didn't see you".
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I did this a while back, got yelled at, replied with an ironic "Sorry mate I didn't see you".

Either LOL, or "Should have gone to Specsavers".

I'm hoping LOL

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    bails87 wrote:

What he says. Bloody expensive wing mirrors, so get some insurance while you are at it eh - just in case. And stop squeezing (your words) down gaps.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    corshamjim wrote:
    It does irk me that most modern cars have colour-matched painted wing mirrors so even the slightest knock is going to cost £100s at a spray shop to put right. Half of me thinks it serves the prat right for buying such a poncy car in the first place, but pedantically yes the right thing would be to stop and apologise (but only if they're not looking like the sort of person that will thump you).

Eh, virtually all cars come with wing mirrors like this in the last 10 years - you even said it - you don't get the choice these days.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

That's a myth, the length of whiskers has nothing to do with how fat the cat is.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

That's a myth, the length of whiskers has nothing to do with how fat the cat is.

True. It depends on the width of the "shoulders". In quote marks because, technically, a cat doesn't have shoulders; there's some structural difference which means it's another type of joint. Technically.

Cats also have short whiskers down their neck and on the back of their legs.

Cats are ace. :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Would it? Its only hair, is it not?

I would have thought that clipping their concealed weapons (claws) may have caused them discomfort, but not pain and this would be even less than cutting their whiskers.

They have quite a few nerves in them IIRC.