MTB singlespeed conversion chain advice

redmini2
redmini2 Posts: 91
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Hopefully in right section. I am trying to build a basic SS from an old MTB frame, I've had lots of parts given to me and decided to treat myself to a few new parts too - as is often the case the costs have spiralled what was supposed to cost a couple of quid for a pub bike will probably end up costing as much as an off the shelf road SS.

WRT the drive chain I have been given some old cranks/bb and old mavic wheels (originally 7 speed) and have purchased the following: Superstar single speed spacer / cog kit 16t; E thirteen 104 g-ring 39t & Gusset bachelor chain tensioner. The odd gear sizes are a starting point and bought due to being sale items, being a novice I have eventually established that I need a 3/32 chain but my dilemma is whether to buy a singlespeed specific such as KMC Z610 or a 8/9 speed chain?

I've found a few posts on various websites but am even more confused now, anyone with any personal experience / views on this please?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Take your pick.

But if either of your cog or cain ring is SS specific you will not be able to run a geared chain as they are a different width.

39t is a bit big.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redmini2
    redmini2 Posts: 91
    Thanks for reply, I would imagine the rear cog as supplied in superstar kit would be singlespeed specific, perhaps that is the answer.

The 39t is big, was looking at bigger though as I plan to use it on road almost exclusively with the occasional shortcut across flat dirt or grass, I nearly bought slicks so was initially looking for a gear ratio around 2.6 or 2.7 but went for a fast rolling off road tyre instead. I am hoping I can make the 39t work for me by adjusting rear cog to suit but I may well be proven wrong.