Brake lever travel after new pads fitted

lpretro1
lpretro1 Posts: 237
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Avid Elixir R - pistons pushed right back - new pads fitted - brake works fine locks up easily - but there is very little travel in lever which feels a little odd. Let some fluid out but didn't make much difference. Any ideas why the lever has little travel?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The pads might be too thick - I'd let the system bed in.
  • lpretro1
    You could be right - the brake is working fine - the pistons aren't grabbing the rotor or anyhting - just feels very solid at the lever!
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    lpretro1 wrote:
    You could be right - the brake is working fine - the pistons aren't grabbing the rotor or anyhting - just feels very solid at the lever!
    Be happy, very happy! Most are experiencing the opposite :D
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Be happy, very happy! Most are experiencing the opposite :D[/quote]

+1

Takes a lot of patience normally to get this on any Avids.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    lpretro1 wrote:
    Let some fluid out
    :cry:

Why do people always do this?
  • lpretro1
    Why let fluid out? There can be too much fluid i - these brakes are not new to me so I don't know their history. If pistons are not pushed back, reach adjusters turned in and bite adjusters etc before bleeding then you can end up putting a lttle bit too much fluid in - typically, if you press one piston back and the other pops out on its own is a sign of this. So letting a tiny bit out just createsa bit more room. :D
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    lpretro1 wrote:
    Let some fluid out
    :cry:

Why do people always do this?
    Yeah, as said above some avid brakes come overfilled, i've seen this first hand, it creates problems changing the pads and can have a weird feel at the lever.

Now im not suggesting anyone goes and pulls the bleed screw out and jettisons fluid all over and lets air in the system, i'm suggesting doing it properly if you need to.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    He said the pistons had been pushed right back, which suggest the brake is fine.
    Emptying the reservoir won't increase the available volume between the master cylinder piston, and the calliper pistons.
  • lpretro1
    Some fluid had to be let out to get the pistons pushed back - they would not budge. Once a drop or two was let out (nobody is 'emptying the reservoir') they popped back ok. This indicates there was too much fluid in there. The brake is working almost too well as there is almost no travel at the lever end. The pads are not dragging on the rotor - they just aren't moving much - as somebody said the new pads are much thicker than a lot I have used before.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Umm, well do you wanna swap them for my elixir 5's? They're brand new and the factory bleed is crap... If I were you I'd be chuffed...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5