23 vs 25?

road_runner12
road_runner12 Posts: 113
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Been faced with this dilemma recently. When to my LBS to discuss tyres as I still have the originals on my bike (23mm). Had a good discussion and became aware that there is much more variation in what people choose for their bikes. I assumed that the majority of cyclists would opt for 23mm but it seems that 25mm is more popular than I expected.

Key question - is there a better tyre or is it just down to preference?

What are the pros and cons for each size?

Comments

• jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    I think it's down to personal preference really. I've used 25c and 23c tyres myself and found that the 25s had less rolling resistance and better grip in corners. They also puncture less though I hardly get punctures on the 23s though. I'm currently running 23c tyres on both my bikes at the moment. Best thing to do is try both sizes out and see which ones you prefer.

Hope this helps...
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Conti do 24mm GP's problem solved :D

personally prefer 23 but then I'm light and smallish so probably more then enough for me !
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    25s for me every time. More comfortable ride, less rolling resistance, fewer punctures - can't see the need for going any thinner really.
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    I'm big and heavy and run 23's... no complaints whatsoever.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Have a look on velonews. There's an interesting article on this exact question.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    I find 25s give a less direct feel in hard cornering and I'm bouncing on the tyre on steep, out of saddle climbs. I guess with the wide tubular rims you can avoid these problems, otherwise I would prefer a narrower tyre for racing.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    I'm big and heavy and run 23's... no complaints whatsoever.

same here
  • tipped
    tipped Posts: 27
    Moved from 25s to 23s a couple of weeks back, and cant say theyre any more uncomfortable (awful Schwalbe 25s to GP4000s 23s from bike-discount.de)

But yes, check out the VeloNews article about rolling resistance etc from Zinn.
    Planet X SL Team 2011 (SRAM Red, Krysium Elite)
  • road_runner12
    road_runner12 Posts: 113
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

Been doing some research. Like the idea of a compromise at 24mm. Anyone got experience of the Conti Grand Prix tyres?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    iVe run the 24mm conti grand prix tyres. liked them a lot. couldnt get replacements at a good price though so now using 25mm schwalbe ultremo zx - happy with those too. both great tyres IMHO
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    25s for me every time. ... less rolling resistance ...

If the narrower tyre is inflated sufficiently, this isn't true. Narrower tyres require higher pressure. If both a 25 and 23 tyre are inflated so that they show the 15% 'drop' under load, the 23 will have a smaller contact patch and less rolling resistance.
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    Just gone from 23 to 25 Michelin Krylions. I've noticed a bit more comfort but maybe the bike is slightly less responsive in terms of handling.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Hoopdriver wrote:

If the narrower tyre is inflated sufficiently, this isn't true. Narrower tyres require higher pressure. If both a 25 and 23 tyre are inflated so that they show the 15% 'drop' under load, the 23 will have a smaller contact patch and less rolling resistance.

Your argument is contrary to the published evidence from the tyre makers and also fails to take into account energy losses due to the deflection of the tyre carcass which is actually greater for skinnier tyres. Latex tubes and 'talcing' your inners also help in this respect. I've been a convert to 'fatter' tyres for years. Finally, a key determining factor for rolling resistance is the road surface - unless you're running on billiard-table smooth tarmac, you soon reach a point of diminishing returns.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bouncyboy
    bouncyboy Posts: 25
    23s all the way, Im 62kg and haven't had any problems with comfort, Punctures are few and far between and i havnt had one for a good few months of surrey roads... damn should not of said that.

On the fixie I have a rear 25 and a front 23 to survive skids better, well thats the theory.
    Race wheels are 22mm and all training wheels are 23mm
    Bouncy :)

under 16 (A) racer
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    23s rattle my spine,its 25s for me every time
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • 25s for me.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Race crits on a 23 and a 25mm section tyres and you'll understand all about handling - 25s typically have a nice round shape which makes a nice steady transition whereas narrower tyres can feel a lot more abrupt, often like they are going to give-out.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Race crits on a 23 and a 25mm section tyres and you'll understand all about handling - 25s typically have a nice round shape which makes a nice steady transition whereas narrower tyres can feel a lot more abrupt, often like they are going to give-out.

Any particular reason for the shape being different at all? Is it just down to mounting a wider tyre on the same rim giving the difference in shape or is it a generalisation of different sized tyres regardless of rim??
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

Your argument is contrary to the published evidence from the tyre makers and also fails to take into account energy losses due to the deflection of the tyre carcass which is actually greater for skinnier tyres. Latex tubes and 'talcing' your inners also help in this respect. I've been a convert to 'fatter' tyres for years. Finally, a key determining factor for rolling resistance is the road surface - unless you're running on billiard-table smooth tarmac, you soon reach a point of diminishing returns.

Spot on. (But I'm sure he already knew that)